Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #621
BtaBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 22

Default Update - Biere de garde

Just wanted to post a quick update in case anyone is interested. It finished at 1.010 after three weeks. I started the temp at 70° for 48 hours, then ramped it up slowly to 85°. It stayed stable at 1.010 for 5 days (checked once, then 5 days later with no change) so I bottled it up. A 70 point swing in SG equals 9.33% ABV, with about 20IBUs (Styrian Goldings hops). The sample tasted better than I expected (especially since it was the first recipe I've made) and I can't wait to taste the 'finished' product. The sample was a little sweet, no astringency, spicy, with notes of almost a juicy fruit flavor. I'm out of town on business again, but when I get home, it'll have been in bottles for about three-and-a-half weeks.

I thought I read somewhere in this thread about the smell when fermenting, but can't find it now. Anyone else notice a smell similar to rotting vegetation when it was fermenting, or is it just my nose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #622
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

BDSA update: As of last week it was still uncarbed and sweet. I uncapped bottles one at a time and used a sanitized syringe to squirt in a little mixture of Nottingham and yeast nutrient into each, then quickly re-capped. A handful seemed a little bit carbed, and I drank one warm (~65*). It was a bit less sickly sweet and the carbonation helped a good bit. Hopefully I didn't release to much pressure by opening. A few days later I noticed a larger amount of yeast sediment in the bottles, so I hope it worked. I may crack another in a few weeks.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #623
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 685 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
used a sanitized syringe to squirt in a little mixture of Nottingham and yeast nutrient into each, then quickly re-capped.
unless your beer is 6+ months old, yeast activity/viability wasn't the problem. give a beer some time, temperature and sugar (or other priming agent) and it's pretty much guaranteed to carb. how long did you let it carb, and at what temp? big beers can take longer to carb but they will eventually carb. how much sugar did you add, so what batch size?

Quote:
Hopefully I didn't release to much pressure by opening.
you released most if whatever pressure was in there. but if the beer is undercarbonated then there is still sugar in there. so give it time and warmth and it should carb. it won't be as carbonated as you originally intended since you've now lost some of that.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #624
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The beer was 4 weeks in the fermenter, then more than 3 months in the bottles at 70ish* with intermittent rolling to re-suspend the yeast. The Yeti clone I did (also a big beer) was carbed in 10 days. I know I released most of the pressure in the headspace, but what I meant to say was that they didn't just go flat immediately when I did so. I let off pressure, but hopefully enough carbonation remained in liquid until I got the cap on so that they will still have a nice carb level when the Notty finishes off the rest of the sugars. Most of them had only the slightest pressure and no perceptible carbonation.

It seems to me yeast health was a problem (first time for me), since there was hardly any sediment on the bottom of the bottles (meaning the yeast had not reproduced while eating the priming sugar) until fresh yeast were added, and then they multiplied enough to get a normal layer of sediment at the bottom in 4 days. This was also the only batch I've used oxygen caps on, so maybe that helped stunt yeast reproduction.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #625
Zeppman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey guys, I'm planning on brewing up a "leftovers" IPA, using up a bunch of hops and other ingredients to make room for some new stuff in the freezer. I'm gonna use some 2nd generation 3711 just for fun. What temp would you ferment at? I know that this is completely out of style, but who cares, I want to try something different. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #626
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 685 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:
The beer was 4 weeks in the fermenter, then more than 3 months in the bottles at 70ish* with intermittent rolling to re-suspend the yeast.
you definitely have something weird going on there. is there any chance you didn't add priming sugar? maybe accidentally used malto or lactose instead? yeast don't just up and die like that, they're hardy little creatures. 4 weeks in primary in nothing, should lots of yeast around to carb.

Quote:
It seems to me yeast health was a problem (first time for me), since there was hardly any sediment on the bottom of the bottles (meaning the yeast had not reproduced while eating the priming sugar) until fresh yeast were added, and then they multiplied enough to get a normal layer of sediment at the bottom in 4 days. This was also the only batch I've used oxygen caps on, so maybe that helped stunt yeast reproduction.
there is plenty of yeast in suspension in the beer. the fact that you wrote "hardly any sediment on the bottom" means that there is enough in there to munch your priming sugar. the yeast that settles at the bottom was previously in suspensions and has dropped out. i'm pretty sure that yeast don't reproduce when they eat the priming sugar, there is no oxygen in a sealed bottle and they need o2 to reproduce. i've used oxygen caps on all my beers and never had a problem, so i doubt that it the cause of your issues.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #627
weiht
Recipes 

This yeast is a gd introduction to saisons for beginners. It doesnt stall on fermentation like the dupont yeast, it finished DRY and produces a beer that is smooth and not too strong on the funk/farmhouse notes. I would have prefer stronger saison qualities but this yeast makes a v nice drinkable session saison.

that being said, i prefer wlp568. I'm slightly disappointed with the Wy3711 to be honest

Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #628
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update on my BDSA:

It looks like the squirting in of some extra yeast did the trick. I'm not sure if it was the addition of yeast, nutrient, or oxygen that did it, but the bottles I've cracked have been much more carbed, if not quite as fully carbed as a standard beer. The perception of sweetness is down, probably from less simple sugar in the beer and the presence of carbonation.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #629
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiht View Post
This yeast is a gd introduction to saisons for beginners. It doesnt stall on fermentation like the dupont yeast, it finished DRY and produces a beer that is smooth and not too strong on the funk/farmhouse notes. I would have prefer stronger saison qualities but this yeast makes a v nice drinkable session saison.

that being said, i prefer wlp568. I'm slightly disappointed with the Wy3711 to be honest
The first time I used it, I drank it in three-four weeks so I never got to the funk. What I've found is that a month or two in keg or bottle brings out much more of the farmhouse quality--earthy, a touch spicy, and a little funk in addition to the citrus character I get.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #630
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

First time using this strain. I'm making a Saison du Buff clone for my brother for Christmas. Definitely not what I'm used to as it's day 7 of fermentation and it's still going. About 2-3 seconds per bubble. Sounds like this is pretty typical for 3711? It was never a crazy strong fermentation, just steady activity.

Anything to be concerned about? I'm going to take a grav today to see what's happening, but it just looks like this is a slow and steady yeast.

Quick Reply