The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #611
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbar View Post
If it's a consistent thing and your hydrometer checks out, maybe worth checking your thermometer?
Yeah. I keep thinking the same thing since I'm using a cheapo Taylor digital probe thermo from Target. But I always leave it in for the boil and get 211 or 212. Of course, it could be off in the 150ish range, but I don't really have a way to test that.

At any rate, it kind of works out for me since I prefer a dryer beer over a sweeter one. I'm also looking into building an electric HERMS rig, so that'll solve the problem for good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #612
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have said it before, but this yeast is the best for bringing a stalled out Belgian down to terminal quick. If I even show the carboy the packet of 3711 the yeast sits up and says YES SIR! The gravity comes down and without the normal begging that goes on at night next to the carboy.

BW

Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #613
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub
I have said it before, but this yeast is the best for bringing a stalled out Belgian down to terminal quick. If I even show the carboy the packet of 3711 the yeast sits up and says YES SIR! The gravity comes down and without the normal begging that goes on a night next to the carboy.

BW
Yup. I have a swollen smack pack going in a slightly thinned out wort from a 1.10 bsda that stalled at 1.040 with a 3 L starter of wlp540. My saison has a 1/2 gallon cake that will be the destroyer of a Bier De Garde in about one week. The grains are sitting in the corner of my basement crying out for mercy right now.

The saison is down to 1.000 right now and still bubbling slowly.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #614
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
But I always leave it in for the boil and get 211 or 212. Of course, it could be off in the 150ish range, but I don't really have a way to test that.
No, but you can check its calibration at the opposite end of the temperature scale. Fill a large cup to the top with chipped ice. Add only just enough cold water to make an icy slurry. Stir it constantly with the thermometer and see where it bottoms out. If your freezing and boiling are only off by a degree or so, you can assume 150*F is accurate as well.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #615
BtaBrew
H.I.T
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 22

Default Regular bottles vs. belgian bottles with corks

I'm planning on making a biere de garde, and all of the ingredients are on their way (including a pack each of 3724 and 3711). Without putting much thought into it, I ordered regular 12oz bottles (I just moved and the bottles I had didn't make it). I'll be using NB's Fizz drops for carbonating purposes, and wonder two things:

1. Will the fizz-drops (I'd assume they're the same as Cooper's Carbonation Drops) provide enough carbonation typical of style?

2. Should I buy a couple cases of belgian bottles, corks, wire bails, and a corker, or will the crown caps on typical bottles hold?

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really looking forward to this brew. It's the first recipe I've made myself.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #616
djbradle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtaBrew
I'm planning on making a biere de garde, and all of the ingredients are on their way (including a pack each of 3724 and 3711). Without putting much thought into it, I ordered regular 12oz bottles (I just moved and the bottles I had didn't make it). I'll be using NB's Fizz drops for carbonating purposes, and wonder two things:

1. Will the fizz-drops (I'd assume they're the same as Cooper's Carbonation Drops) provide enough carbonation typical of style?

2. Should I buy a couple cases of belgian bottles, corks, wire bails, and a corker, or will the crown caps on typical bottles hold?

After reading through this entire thread, I'm really looking forward to this brew. It's the first recipe I've made myself.
Your standard 12 oz amber bottles will do fine with a regular 26mm crown cap.
I would recommend to mix some dextrose to the right co2 volume and mix it in the bottling bucket rather than do the carb tabs or fizz drops. This will prove more consistent results and less chance of contamination as long as you stir well in the bucket when ready to bottle

No need for belgian bottles and corks unless you wanna spend more money on the bottles and corker.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #617
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
I made a stout (not a yeti clone) that turned out very nice with 3711, thumbs up for giving it a shot. The worst outcome is that it's not a successful clone, but it will still taste damn good.
That's all I'm really shooting for anyway, since I've never had Yeti. Most of my beer experience was Sam Adams until I started brewing my own. I mashed at 156, didn't boil off enough water (3.5 gallons instead of 3) but hit 87% eff instead of 80%, so the only thing a little lacking will be the hops levels. I pitched a stepped up 1 qt starter at about 30 hours into 82* wort and sat it in my ferm chamber. I forgot how minimal lag time would be because I usually cold crash my starters, and was missing a half gallon of head space, so I woke up to a mess. At least it was down to 68 by that time. I'll try to keep it cool for a little longer and then let it go.
100_2858.jpg  
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #618
djbradle
Recipes 

Haha, I'd slurp that right up it looks so good!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #619
BtaBrew
H.I.T
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 22

Default Progress

Well, I brewed up my Biere de garde, and then, as luck would have it, I had to leave on business for a week. When I returned, my fermentation fridge smelled of rotting vegetables. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was. I snuck down and put my nose directly on the airlock, and I smelled something different... namely beer and cloves. I sanitized my wine theif and hydrometer and pulled a sample. I took the sample out of the area and smelled it again, and I smelled only the beer and cloves, so I think the smell could be the fridge. It's an older fridge, and while I cleaned it, I didn't sanitize it, and it's been sitting at 74° for over a week now.

The sample measured around 1.036 (down from 1.080) and tasted like clovey bubble gum. It's still rather sweet, obviously, but at least now I know to stop considering tossing it.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #620
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I was having a tough time deciding on a good and different fall or winter beer to brew. We already have a Bridge Burner clone, Pumpkin Ale, and a Winter Warmer going, so i ended up buying Northern Brewer's Saison De Noel. It comes with the Wyeast 3711...I was a bit startled when I saw the fermenting temps of 70 to 95 degrees. So I checked a bunch of different threads and brewed away! not 12 hours into fermentation this yeast blew the lid off of my fermenting bucket! I have a make-shift blow-off hose that I attached and let it keep going.

It's been 17 days in my back room with a space heater keeping the room at or around 85 degrees, and this beast is still bubbling pretty well. I haven't taken a gravity reading to see where it's at, and my og reading was screwed because I was 3 sheets to the wind and took the reading before I aerated...it was at 1.114...haha...not the 1.070 it should have been, but oh well.

I'm going out of town for work today and plan on getting a reading when I get back. from what I've read, people have left this yeast going in temps like this for upwards of 5 weeks. I was thinking of racking at 3 weeks, which would be on Sunday. I'll update as I continue...

**EDIT**CORRECTION! I used Wyeast 3726

On deck: Oaked Rye Porter
Primary: Cow Catcher in the Rye (RyePA)
Primary: Pinneywick Pale Ale (Honey Basil Double Pale)
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013
On tap: Greenhouse IPA (Citra/Columbus)
On tap: Le Conte de Duex Ginger (Ginger Saison)
Cellaring: The Grudge Imperial Stout 2013

Quick Reply