The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #501
msmith92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried 3711 on a low gravity Farm House recipe from NB.

It turned out a little too lemony for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #502
Jboggeye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lemony...

haha, you might have ruined 3711 for me. I never thought of it as lemony until now...

Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #503
msmith92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

oops!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #504
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboggeye View Post
Lemony...

haha, you might have ruined 3711 for me. I never thought of it as lemony until now...
I love the citrus, but get more orange than lemon... and I use all cascade in my Saison specifically to enhance the citrus. I may soak some orange peel in cointreau and add it as well... does anyone have input on the difference in usage and/or outcome with bitter vs. sweet orange peel?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #505
msmith92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it was too lemony because the gravity was low (session).

I dunno?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #506
Jboggeye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Every time I think I have a handle on this yeast, something new comes up.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #507
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboggeye
Lemony...

Me neither. But I suck at tasting notes. My friends like what thy call the citrusy notes with pepperness.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #508
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I love the citrus, but get more orange than lemon... and I use all cascade in my Saison specifically to enhance the citrus. I may soak some orange peel in cointreau and add it as well... does anyone have input on the difference in usage and/or outcome with bitter vs. sweet orange peel?
I've done a couple experiments with the aforementioned with recipe that calls for equal parts and in all honesty, I simply can't tell the difference. I did one batch with 2oz sweet and no bitter, one with 2oz bitter and no sweet, and it comes out mostly the same (although what variations there were could be attributed to other variables, such as storing time, ambient temp, primary duration, etc--it certainly wasn't a scientific experiment ). Increasing the amounts might make the difference less subtle, but I prefer complementing the citrus with hop selections rather than just going straight fruit.

For a cointreau-specific application, I'd probably think bitter would help balance out the natural sweetness of the liqueur, but it'd depend on if you plan on dumping the cointreau in as well.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #509
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee

I've done a couple experiments with the aforementioned with recipe that calls for equal parts and in all honesty, I simply can't tell the difference. I did one batch with 2oz sweet and no bitter, one with 2oz bitter and no sweet, and it comes out mostly the same (although what variations there were could be attributed to other variables, such as storing time, ambient temp, primary duration, etc--it certainly wasn't a scientific experiment ). Increasing the amounts might make the difference less subtle, but I prefer complementing the citrus with hop selections rather than just going straight fruit.

For a cointreau-specific application, I'd probably think bitter would help balance out the natural sweetness of the liqueur, but it'd depend on if you plan on dumping the cointreau in as well.
Awesome info, smagee! Thank you! I'd probably decant the Cointreau, but I hadn't taken the sweetness into account--good call. Did you soak your peels at all or just toss 'em in?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #510
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Wow, thanks Smagee, that's pretty fun info.

I can see this yeast being good in a wit, as it is a very citrus-y flavor- which is why I don't like to age this yeast. (more on this in a little)

Now, about the 3711 citrus flavor- it doesn't hold up in aging- or more specifically, an aged 3711 gets kinda bland and one-dimensional. the citrus flavor needs to be more funky to be good, and is better young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
I have made three saisons with this yeast. The first I brewed in the summer and let the temp run wild. I would say it fermented between 85 and 90 degrees...By far the first saison was the best. The funk and pepperiness that I expected came out.
Quote:
wow, and I find this yeast tastes better at lower temps- around 70-75. It tends to get phenolic and fusely at 80+, in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghack View Post
I agree. Used it in a Bier Du Guarde with a cool fermentation temp and it was just perfect. That wonderful earthy-slightly-funky flavor with a bit of spice, but not at the saison level.
I wonder if the aging out of the funkiness has to do with preferred ferm temps. Would higher temps giving more funk last longer? Would fermenting cooler be better to enjoy fresh? Maybe some of the above posters can comment on how long they aged at the preferred temps stated above. I also remember a post claiming that funkiness increased with aging, and I'm curious to know which is right.
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Quick Reply