Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #491
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87
I mashed at 153 for 75 minutes, and think I'll keep it cool to start off. I just pitched at 76 and put it in a cool water bath in the basement. I'll monitor the fermometer this evening and stick some ice bottles in the bath if need be. I think I'll target mid to upper 60s to start. How many days before I should let it hit low 70s, mid, upper, etc? I've never done a temp ramp or any sort of belgian before, though I have a belgian IPA schedule with this yeast (I'm a cheapskate, so it's my house belgian yeast--I'll wash and make starters as needed).
I think you could let it go cool for a day or two then start raising by a couple degrees a day until you hit target temp. Depending on how high you may need to go up to 5 a day. To get to target for a long enough fermentation.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #492
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #493
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on 3711 being consistent. It is super predictable. Fast and dry!

I was thinking about the mix. Use an abbey yeast then 3711 the thing at 1.015ish. You'll get a NEAT beer. Especially if you ferment the abbey at one temp then raise it when the 3711 takes off.

Ooo... gears are turning

Hops will be an interesting one. I'm thinking Sorachi Ace, some of those New Zealand guys, Saaz, Styrian Celeia is a GREAT hop with 3711. Kinda funky, grassy with a hit a citrus in it... hmmm...

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #494
Biobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
I just brewed up 11 gallons of a Saison using the 3711. Overshot my gravity a bit. Estimated at 1.065, Measured OG at 1.075. Used oxygenator for a couple minutes and pitched 2 smack packs. I am a little worried that this is not enough yeast. I usually use a starter, but should I be worried with using only 2 smackpacks? My real question is: I am thinking about throwing another yeast pack in a couple of days, is this necessary?
According to YEAST CALC (http://yeastcalc.com/), you will need 568 billion cells for 11 gallons of 1.075 wort. Assuming you used the activators, you will have about 200 billion cells (maybe less if they are older). Theoretically, you would need 4 more to get up to the 568 billion cell range.

FYI, one Activator is "designed to deliver professional pitch rates (6 million cells/ ml.) when directly added to 5 gallons of wort. ( <1.060 at 70 degrees)." Pitching 2 activators into 11 gallons of 1.075 wort is well shy of that. Who knows though, you might get some interesting saison flavors with a little yeast stress...

Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #495
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stressing out saison yeasts is fun too. You get some funky qualities and, at least from a 3764/3711 (DuPont/Thierriez) combo, pitched at a high krausen 1.080 starter of DuPont and a just smacked pack of 3711 really plays out well.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #496
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrose

thats what i was hoping to hear...plan on posting results?
Absolutely! I was thinking to brew them on the 18th, but I may work it in on this Monday or Tuesday.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #497
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Absolutely! I was thinking to brew them on the 18th, but I may work it in on this Monday or Tuesday.
right on!

Also, I just finished up about 6 mo. in the VA beach area... Ever hit up the public house in Norfolk? The veg. quinoa and a pint was my monday ritual.

I'm sure I'll do a triple, Golden strong or dark strong/quad after the patersbier... interested in an exchange?
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #498
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrose

right on!

Also, I just finished up about 6 mo. in the VA beach area... Ever hit up the public house in Norfolk? The veg. quinoa and a pint was my monday ritual.

I'm sure I'll do a triple, Golden strong or dark strong/quad after the patersbier... interested in an exchange?
How cool is that?! We hit the Publick House it's first week & were so disappointed we haven't been back. I'll try it again this summer.

Exchange would be awesome. PM me when you're ready!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #499
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

This past winter, I experimented with 3711 in a saison, wit, and tripel in successive weeks; all were established recipes (the first I simply wanted both as a control and because it was delicious) that I'd brewed several times before and felt comfortable enough that I knew what to expect.

The saison funkiness came through strongly in all of them (I fermented at ambient temp for the most part, starting ~65f and rising maybe to 72f), but without overwhelming the natural flavors. I've already blown through the wit after putting it on tap after about 3 months of room temperature conditioning; the citrus flavors from 1oz each of sweet and bitter orange peel had been mellowed, but so had the saisonyness. It had the surprisingly medium body I've come to associate with this yeast and while it didn't taste like a traditional wit, it was good enough that I'll probably do it for this recipe again in the future.

The tripel is still in the keg and is scheduled to go on tap next month (giving it about 7 months of lead time); I'd gone with 3711 for this one in particular because I'd been having trouble mellowing the banana bread flavors from the original yeast strain (wlp530, as I recall) and wanted to see how the saison strain did with it. So far, it's tasted largely like a saison, not a tripel (not surprisingly), but I haven't tried it in a couple months now. When I toss it on tap, I'll try to post more specific tasting notes. I'm hoping the extended time gives some of the spiciness a chance to emerge from behind the overall funk.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #500
Jboggeye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, thanks Smagee, that's pretty fun info.

I can see this yeast being good in a wit, as it is a very citrus-y flavor- which is why I don't like to age this yeast. (more on this in a little)

As for the tripel, it's not surprising- the fruit/banana flavors that one needs in a tripel is not available in 3711. The only difference between my tripels and my High Gravity saisons are the yeasts. I should do a split batch between wlp530 and 3711.
I like to ferment 530 real low temp- a tripel doesn't need much esters to be fantastic.

Now, about the 3711 citrus flavor- it doesn't hold up in aging- or more specifically, an aged 3711 gets kinda bland and one-dimensional. the citrus flavor needs to be more funky to be good, and is better young.

Also, I've found that a high percentage of wheat malt helps soften the beer in a nice way, which is why is use 3711 in low ABV table saisons with alot of wheat.

For "regular" saisons, I'll pitch 3724 for a few days then 3711.

Quick Reply