The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is a great yeast. The sulfur is not an issue. Allow two weeks in the fermenter (primary only or use a secondary, whatever).

They are not joking about the temperature sensitivity. This yeast is the poster child for temperature control. Get the ambient up to 70º and prepare for banan and bubblegum flavor to overpower everything in the beer. Yikes! My sweet spot for traditional Hefes is 65-67º. You will get a nice clove note and just a bit of banana.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So we are at the 48th hour since pitching the yeast, the ambiant temp of 60 (assuming that the cheap thermometer in the basement isn't totally incorrect) has not changed. The little quick read sticker type themometer on the side of the brew bucket says 64-66 so I'm assuming it's actually about 65-67 in the wort.

No fermentation explosions and honestly i was expecting this to be more active. It was bubbling right along 24 hours after pitching but now it has slowed down considerably. I know the lower temp has had something to do with keeping the fermentation from being super active. but two days to burn through most the sugars and slow down? I guess it's possible since I've had buckets ferment out in 4 days to the correct sg so i guess this could be one of those.

I'll leave it alone for the next two weeks, that was the original plan anyway, and check the sg then.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love hefe's, brew them often - have brewed 3 (well, one is a dunkel) recently - all w/ this yeast.
I fermented them all in the low 60's and never had an issue w/ blowoff, sulfur or anything like that. Like others have said, temp is a huge factor with this yeast - both in the intesnity of the fermentation and in the resulting flavors.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, been reading some other threads along with this one. Is two weeks long enough? I'm not worried about it reaching fg in two weeks, i'm sure it's probably close to that already if not there. As i stated i was going to let it go for at least two weeks before bottling it. but even a wheat needs a little time to condition. would 3 weeks or a month be better for this yeast and give it some time to drop sediment and for the yeast to fall out before opening up the primary and bottling?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How much yeast did you pitch? If you pitched an adequate size starter I would say 2 weeks is more than enough.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
vortexla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yeah, 2 weeks is usually more than enough with this yeast. And as others have said this yeast really is the perfect example of a yeast that needs temp control.

Upcoming: All Cascade IPA, Brett L Pale Ale, Brett A Pale Ale, Brett B Pale Ale, Sour Belgian Pale Ale, pLambic, Gose, Oaked RIS
Primary: Munich Helles, Strawberry Mead
Bottled: Brett C Blonde Ale, Berliner Weiss, Orange Mead

Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure I like this yeast. Four weeks in the primary and it still smells of sulfur. There must be a cloud of hydrogen sulfide floating on top of the bucket or something, because when I leaned in to smell it I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I fermented cold, at about 64.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2494

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
I'm not sure I like this yeast. Four weeks in the primary and it still smells of sulfur. There must be a cloud of hydrogen sulfide floating on top of the bucket or something, because when I leaned in to smell it I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I fermented cold, at about 64.
That's a good temp for a low-banana hefe. Bottle and don't worry.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2494

Four wheats and a saison. The wheats all blew off. 2 were on 3068, 2 were S-04.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only pitched the amount in the pack, it was one of the smack packs that wyeast makes. Honestly I've never pitched more than what came in the pack or when i was doing kits what came in the dry packet and i just dumped that straight in dry.

I know it's not necessarily good practice but i've never had a problems with it. I've been brewing for like 5 or 6 years but it's been so off and on I still consider myself pretty much new at this hobby. Haven't quite gotten into the finer art of yeast management and control yet. Sooner or later it will happen though i think.

Quick Reply