The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
monty67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen questions

so my local guy was out of the wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat yeast and suggested i went with this instead.

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™
Back to Yeast Strain List

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

A few things have me concerned. The sulfer bit. how long would you let it sit before bottling to help with this or am i just looking at bottle conditioning for an extended period of time. This was supposed to be an earlier drinker and I was going to put half the batch in the pig keg, but I'm wondering if i shouldn't just bottle the whole bit and plan on it being a longer conditioning time.

The next thing is the 33percent head space. I've always just used my 6 gallon ale bucket with tight lid and air lock and the only time i had a problem was when i blew the top off cause i didn't realize i was brewing with lager yeast and i forgot to get it in the basement in the middle of summer. Doh! (it was one of my first beers...) should i be worried about this. if i am brewing at a lower temp?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
BrokenDog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've used this yeast before to make a hefeweizen and never had any problems with headspace in a similar bucket, just use a blowoff tube if you are concerned. As far as the sulfur is concerned, I guess it depends a little bit on what you are making, but the hefe was one of my first AG batches and I know I didn't let it sit that long in the fermentor, 2 weeks max then 2 weeks in the bottle before I was drinking it and thought it tasted just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
findlaym
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bottled my first batch with 3068 and let me tell you it fermented like a grenade. without a starter, I was blowing out the airlock within 12 hours in a 5gallon carboy. it did make it easy to harvest yeast though....

I will be using a blowoff tube next time for sure. I haven't got into the beer yet but no sulfur in fermentation.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I, too, just bottled my first batch of 3068. I made a starter, and the airlock was going nuts the morning I woke up, and then when I came home later that day, there was yeast coming through my airlock, so +1 on the blowoff tube. It also reeked of sulfur.

I fermented for just short of 2 weeks, and I will be sure to let you know how the beer turned out after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Use a blow off tube when using this yeast.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Use a blow off on wheats, especially with this or WLP300. Period.

- CStone

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

1. Don't worry about the sulfur smell thing, it goes away with bottle conditioning
2. If you don't have a lot of headspace you will need to use a blowoff tube. I did my first batch with 3068 and bottled it last week after two weeks in the primary. I have a fermenter with tons of headspace, it's the Coopers plastic fermenter which is about 7.5 -8 gallons in actual total size. The krausen went up to the lid and left some yeast crud there but nothing blew up through the airlock since I had so much space.
3. It's a hefeweizen, I wouldn't let it sit too long in the primary anyway. As mentioned I bottled after two weeks, had hit my expected FG and even tasted one after only 5 days in the bottle. I tasted one so early because when I opened my fermenter to bottle I had a sour smell and I wanted to know if it would carry over to the bottles. Even with only 5 days in the bottle it was quite carbed up, I'm thinking cause the yeast is so aggressive it worked quickly on the priming sugar. Tasted great and far less sour smell, so it's dissipating for sure. Can't wait to see what it's like after 2-3 weeks in the bottle.

Rev.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, got everything brewed up yesterday and looked at my brew bucket. Even if i had wanted to use a blow off tube on that i wouldn't know how to set one up. But it looks like i've got another 20-25 percent space for fermentation so I'm gonna go with it. not the first wheat i've ever done but we'll see, hopefully no over flow with this yeast.

Came down this morning and it's slowly bubbling through the air lock. I'm hoping that by keeping it down in 60 degree ambiant that the yeast stays a little slower than it could be and doesn't go crazy.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i needed to read this thread earlier... i just used a similar yeast (3644, belgain wit) on saturday and i left the recommended headspace in primary... it literally blew the top off last night. i have crap on my ceiling (seriously).

i didn't lose any volume of brew, so i cleaned the top, replaced the airlock and recapped it; started popping immediately. those wit yeasts are insane. i now know better and will use a blowoff tube in lieu of an airlock in the future.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Yeah they are VERY active and pretty darn quick. I brewed 12 gallons of hefe this wk-end, I filled my 2 6-gallon carboy to where the neck starts tapering (exactly 6-gallons) and used blow-off's,

I lost about 2 quarts through the blow-offs! But it's all good!

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply