Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 Not Responding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
d4rren
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 3068 Not Responding

I ordered 2 smack packs of Wyeast 3068 from Northern Brewer for a Hefeweizen. I pitched on Saturday the 9th and there has been hardly any activity. When the yeast arrived at my house it had an ice pack between the two packages inside of the box, but it had completely melted and was warm (so I was already a bit concerned). I put both yeast packages in the fridge for a few days and then activated them (at room temperature) about 6 hours before pitching. Should I still expect something to happen? Is it just really delayed b/c of the temp fluctuation in went through? Should I go buy some other yeast and pitch that? Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did the smack packs swell after you activated them? If so there was viable yeast present but really no way of knowing how many cells between the two packs. Also, was your wort cooled down to fermentation temps before you pitched? If it was too hot, it could have shocked the yeast.
I have used this yeast in a Hefe before and had a lot of activity within 24hrs at about 68 degrees ambient temp.
Regardless, the best way to ensure a good pitch is to make a starter. It's pretty easy and will help you get active fermentation going quickly after pitching. Check out DeathBrewer's "How To Make A Yeast Starter" thread here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/
Cheers!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
d4rren
Recipes 

Both packs swelled and the wort temp was correct when I pitched. Any suggestions about what I should do at this point?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
jermanimal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rren View Post
Both packs swelled and the wort temp was correct when I pitched. Any suggestions about what I should do at this point?
If it really has been 4 days, you could be out of luck. Your best bet is to get some danstar Munich and cross your fingers. Do you have a local store you can get yeast at quickly?

1) have you checked you SG, is it dropping?

2) did you get something in your fermenter that would kill the yeast? cleaner etc.

3) was you yeast warming at the same temp as you were going to pitch?

4) essentially yeast needs food, nutrients, O2, the right temperature and right PH. In infected batch isn't going to stop the yeast, that will only mess up the flavor of the beer.

The thing is, if you had smack packs that were bulging, you 100% had yeast ready to go. Hefe don't need much O2. Could there be some chemical in your brew process or major issue with wort?

That said, dump any dry yeast you can get your hands on ASAP and see if you can save it.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermanimal
That said, dump any dry yeast you can get your hands on ASAP and see if you can save it.
First off check to make sure you lid is on tight and snapped on right. If you want to see airlock activity.
But what I would do is check the SG. See if it has changed. If not then buy more 3068 and repitch.
I bet your beer is fine

Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Without a hydrometer reading, you'll never KNOW what's going on.if it hasn't changed in 5 days, it's time to repitch!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

3068 is usually so foamy and frothy, it doesn't seem plausible strain to stealth ferment. Did you dose it with ferm cap? What temp is at now?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
jermanimal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
3068 is usually so foamy and frothy, it doesn't seem plausible strain to stealth ferment. Did you dose it with ferm cap? What temp is at now?
I second this, it should be going crazy blowing off the top.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermanimal

I second this, it should be going crazy blowing off the top.
While I agree, I am profoundly confused by the reluctance of many HBT'ers to do a simple test. Many will spend the money on more yeast w/o knowing whether it's truly necessary. Heck, in the time it takes to post here, you can know for certain! Just confused. /rant

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
jermanimal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok do your test, but it is irrelevant if you don't have krauzen on an ale. It is obvious if you have populations of yeast propagating. You can not accidentally have fermentation, in a hefe with that yeast, IT WILL BE MUNCHING SUGAR LIKE MAD.

If you keep dipping into sugary unfermented wort and done see any thick white foam on top, your yeast isn't doing anything. Repeatedly testing and especially testing for no reason is a very bad idea. Every time you open that fermenter you open the chances of letting the baddies in.

I agree that 24 hours is too early to start freaking out and buying yeast. But 4-5 days, getting more yeast is critical.

Quick Reply