Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 hefeweizen and sulfur smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
gio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wyeast 3068 hefeweizen and sulfur smell

I brewed a hefeweizen yesterday and everything seemed to be going well, but today, almost exactly 24 hours after I pitched the yeast the fermenter has been giving off a horrible sulfur smell. Here are the details:

The yeast is Wyeast 3068 and the beer is a hefeweizen. I pitched at 72 degrees and dropped the temperature to 66 degrees. It climbed back up to about 68 degrees and has been at about 68 all day according to my lcd stick-on thermometer. Fermentation has been vigourous and started within 10 hours of pitching the yeast. I'm using a blowoff tube and a flask of sanitzer. I very quickly opened the fermenter to take a quick picture (see below). I've actually never done that before so I'm even sure what it is supposed to look like. Is it infected? If not, what should I do to clear up the smell (leave it extra long in the primary before transferring to the secondary perhaps? Or maybe let it rest in the secondary at a low temperature?)

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Boru
Recipes 

Well first that is definitely what it should look like if fermenting naturally. So I wouldn't worry about the appearance.

I've never actually used this yeast before, but it might just give off a sulfur odor during fermentation. I'll let someone who's used this yeast before weigh in more on that, although how much pilsner malt/extract where you using verses how much wheat malt?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a good clean Krausen you're looking at. Hope you didn't sneeze in there and spoil it.
Sulfur smell is typical of many hefe / wit / white beer strains, see below for the wyeast desription of your brewing buddies:

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I was just reading that Wyeast page on 3068. I don't know how I missed that line about sulfur. Thanks for pointing it out.

I used 2lbs pilsner, 2.75lbs light wheat, 0.5lbs dark wheat, 3lbs wheat DME (which is half and half, I believe).

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
mjwitz
Recipes 

Default Same sulfur smell

I had a similar experience recently with the 3068. I made a batch of Hefeweizen and Weizenbock using the same yeast (2nd Gen) with starters. They both fermented like crazy at 68 deg. and had a strong sulfur smell. It dissipated some in the secondary and will disappear with conditioning.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was worried about this same exact thing until I read this post. I just brewed an AG Hefe using this strand. I was nervous about the strong sulfur smell.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I pitched a liter starter and the thing took off like mad. I had to use a blow off tube. Will this be okay if I just do an extended primary? Revvy, I'm looking for some advice on this one. Will the yeast clear up the smell?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done a few brews with this yeast. You'll be fine, let this sit for 3 weeks in primary (get rid of this secondary idea unless you're lagering or dry hopping). THe sulfer smell will go away and I can assure you that you won't taste it in your beer as long as you let the beer stay on the yeast and let them clean up after themselves. 3 weeks in primary, then package.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That was my plan, Kammee. I've been reading up on the primary only threads and they all make so much sense. I've usually put my beers into secondary, but I just don't see a point for this one. I was just worried about the yeast cleaning up the sulfur. I'm going to be doing extended primaries only from no on, unless they're bigger beers. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 143

When I brew my hefes I let the primary fermentation go for a couple weeks, keg and carb it for 3 weeks, never any sulfur smell at the time I tap the keg.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Quick Reply