Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
TimTrone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer
Local brewery uses this exclusively. FWIW I looked on their website and it said they pitch at 46 and it takes forever to ferment.
They might pitch at 46, but I bet they let it rise to 52-55

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://www.redoakbrewery.com/about.php

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr
My brewing buddy and I tasted our split-batch Oktoberfest (S-189 and 2352) last night when I started the d-rest. I have a strong preference for the 189 but he went nuts for the 2352. If I had more time I would do a Vienna right away (I have a sack of Weyermann Vienna malt that needs to go away) then re-pitch the slurry from both. The 2352 is third generation IIRC.
I tried a octoberfest that used 2352 last night. While it was very good, it wasn't as clean as s189. Ill repitch it in a helles, but I'm not going to pay more for it than I pay for the saflager.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #24
weiht
Recipes 

I fermented at 11c and it went from 1054 down to 1020 in 7 days, I then proceeded to do a D.rest by raising it slowly to 14.5c over 48 hrs and it finished at 1010 by 10 days.

Its starts pretty fast, ferments pretty fast as well. It does throw some sulphur gas in the initial part of fermentation but it doesnt stay in the beer, don't panic if u smell rotten eggs in the fridge or basement. There wasn't much noticeable diacetyl or sulphur in the beer at day 7, but i decided that raising the temperature would encourage the yeast to clean the beer up better. This yeast does floculate pretty well if you crash chill it (My starter wort looked almost filtered).

Okay, here is where it matters. Taste wise, it is not exactly clean and does come across a little fruity/estery (Taste and aroma) even though i fermented at the lowest recommended end. I believe it wasnt really recommended for clean pilsners but more of the stronger darker german beers where these characteristics may fit in well as interesting, but definitely not in a clean crisp lager.

Pros
Fast fermenting
Little off flavours produced during early fermentation
Some esters good for darker beers

Cons
Not clean for classic pilsner
A little uninspiring... Okay-above average but definitely not great

*edit
Oh I mashed at 64c and it does attenuate pretty strong. If using for the darker or stronger beers, I think its better to mash at 66c

Last edited by weiht; 06-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiht
I fermented at 11c and it went from 1054 down to 1020 in 7 days, I then proceeded to do a D.rest by raising it slowly to 14.5c over 48 hrs and it finished at 1010 by 10 days.

Its starts pretty fast, ferments pretty fast as well. It does throw some sulphur gas in the initial part of fermentation but it doesnt stay in the beer, don't panic if u smell rotten eggs in the fridge or basement. There was much noticeable diacetyl or sulphur in the beer at day 7, but i decided that raising the temperature would encourage the yeast to clean the beer up better. This yeast does floculate pretty well if you crash chill it (My starter wort looked almost filtered).

Okay, here is where it matters. Taste wise, it is not exactly clean and does come across a little fruity/estery (Taste and aroma) even though i fermented at the lowest recommended end. I believe it wasnt really recommended for clean pilsners but more of the stronger darker german beers where these characteristics may fit in well as interesting, but definitely not in a clean crisp lager.

Pros
Fast fermenting
Little off flavours produced during early fermentation
Some esters good for darker beers

Cons
Not clean for classic pilsner
A little uninspiring... Okay-above average but definitely not great

*edit
Oh I mashed at 64c and it does attenuate pretty strong. If using for the darker or stronger beers, I think its better to mash at 66c
Those were my thoughts as well. Its not a classic clean lager strains. I was going to repitch to a helles, but thought better of it. Ill just brew up a Bock with it, and lager till winter.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a Helles going with 2352, this is day 7 of fermentation at 53 degrees. Just checked gravity at it's right at 1.030, from 1.049 OG. I expected it to be lower based on the last post. And fermentation took less than 24 hours to start after I pitched a 1-gal starter.

I definitely can smell the sulphur though when I open the fridge.

I don't want to miss the opportunity to do a d-rest, I thought I would've started it by now but I'm waiting for the gravity to drop a little lower. (I don't trust my taste buds to check for diacytel, so I always do one regardless for my lagers)

The posts aren't very encouraging about this yeast, but I'm still hopeful that I'll get a winner!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I tasted two more last night made with this yeast; probably not the right choice if you are looking for "clean" but some nice complexities for something like a Bock; I even think the Oktoberfest I used it in will be okay; I will have to think about doing a Helles where I think it would do okay as well. I'll either do a Helles then a Doppelbock and call it good at about generation 5-6 or maybe just the Doppelbock.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #28
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr
I tasted two more last night made with this yeast; probably not the right choice if you are looking for "clean" but some nice complexities for something like a Bock; I even think the Oktoberfest I used it in will be okay; I will have to think about doing a Helles where I think it would do okay as well. I'll either do a Helles then a Doppelbock and call it good at about generation 5-6 or maybe just the Doppelbock.
My octoberfest is in the keg, and will be lagering for the next 4 months. Tastes good, but I agree its not as "clean" as most other German strains. Its good, but not my favorite.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #29
pjk49202

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought two packages of this yeast to try in a German lager of some ilk soon. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
QuaffableQuips
G'suffa!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I am lagering a Helles right now with Wyeast 2352 and planning to brew a second one within the next couple of months. The summer was exceptionally hot, so I'm only now getting around to playing with this strain.

I did a two-stage starter, with stage 2 pitched at high Kräusen into approximately 52 degree wort. I want to say fermentation topped out at 56 degrees or so, and then I allowed it to free rise to 65 for a diacetyl rest after about 7 days of primary. OG was 1.046.

I just tasted the hydro sample over the weekend prior to lagering, and I thought it was pretty clean. The proof will, of course, be in the final, lagered, carbonated product, but so far I'm pleased.

Quick Reply