New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 2112 - fermented a bit high - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Wyeast 2112 - fermented a bit high - thoughts?

Hey guys -

So I got a pretty late start this year on my Oktoberfest and didn't end up brewing it until about the 6th of October. Just racked it over into the keg and on first taste it was a little fruity/solventy. I'm chocking this up to the 1-3 day period where this beer was at 66-68 F using Wyeast 2112. Not something I planned on - one of those uncontrollable instances. I know on the pack it says it retains lager characteristics up to 65, which seems to be the case so far, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of situation with this yeast and what their results were when they eventually tapped it?

I'm planning on letting this one sit around till about christmas and then seeing what happens while those yeasties are working away at it.

#alwaysinspiredbyRevvy'sthread

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtah
I know this is a bit out since you brewed. I used 2112 and then we had a heat wave. 1-2 weeks it tasted a little medicinal, then it mellowed and was really good. My best of 5 batches.
I just recently pitched at 85f 2112 in a lager wort. I then brought it to temperature around 62f. I don't see any issue with my first batch ever. However, is there any way of telling if the yeast is dead? I have portions of it floating at the top and bottom.

--Андрій
http://theukrainianbrewer.wordpress.com

Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerbrew View Post
That's pretty high for pitching, man. Yeast can survive at up to about 90 F but that's probably so high that it shocked the yeast. Some may still be alive but it will probably take it a while to get back to a reasonable cell count to start fermenting. Have you seen krausen yet?

Also, to update on my situation, the beer is still in the keg, haven't tapped it yet - haven't really had the space on my kegerator for it and I figure I'll just throw it on sometime when I have nothing else to put on or just bring it to a party or something. I'm sure by now it's mellowed out pretty well though.
Thanks, ill remember not to get drunk with friends and pitch yeast to wort.

--Андрій

Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
THEUKRAINIAN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Actually, it has to be about 120 degrees to kill the yeast. Yeast actually LOVE warm temperatures and would be very active at 85 degrees. So you definitely didn't kill the yeast, but you may have some off-flavors from them reproducing and beginning fermentation at a too-warm temperature.

Next time, chill the wort to 60-65 degrees for ales and 45-50 degrees for lagers before adding the yeast!
Thanks for the tip!

--Андрій

Quick Reply