*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #51
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Good to see that others reported success/solid results with this yeast. I just picked up an activator packet of it yesterday and plan to use it Sunday in a mocha porter. I intend to wash the yeast once it's done and save it for a future batch. I'll evaluate the results on bottling day, as well as once the brew is carbonated and in the glass. I'm just glad I went to the LHBS on the day the yeast arrived (I was told that yeast had come in yesterday) since they only got one packet in.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #52
14thstreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm coming round to the conclusion I'm having problems finishing/attenuating and/or bottling with this strain. Some of my last IPA recipes have mashed low (148-153F) and used sugar in the boil, to give me an attenuation of 85%. Typically a two week ferment at 65-68F then bottle to 1.8-2 vol of CO2 with table sugar. The beers have been hopped with leaf EKG and after a 1-2 week carbonation period I'd say a good 1/8 of an inch sediment is in the bottle - a combination of hops and granular bits of yeast. Beers generally have dropped clear with or without finings. They've been small 1.5 gallon batches so my pitching rates and other volume/weight/temperature measurement errors could have more of an effect on the final product. The main problem I've had is the preponderance of gushers. Frustrating.

I wouldn't call it an infection but the amount and type of sediment in the bottles suggests that I've got a lot of nucleation points for CO2 release. I can't say I've had this happen with other strains I've bottled with.

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #53
Derp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed 10 gallons of a Landlord clone and pitched 1469 (Landlord's yeast) into 5 gallons and 1882 into the other half. I pitched at 63 degrees and let it rise to 68. I took samples yesterday after 8 days of fermentation and the 1882 sample was noticeably clearer. Both tasted pretty good but the 1882 sample was the unanimous favorite among the people who tasted them. It was slightly maltier and more flavorful.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #54
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
The main problem I've had is the preponderance of gushers. Frustrating.I wouldn't call it an infection but the amount and type of sediment in the bottles suggests that I've got a lot of nucleation points for CO2 release. I can't say I've had this happen with other strains I've bottled with.
Check out some of the posts from page 40 onward. While I have not experienced that problem with Thames Valley II (as I have yet to bottle with it) there have been problems with gushers, off flavors ect... when bottling with wy1968 and some of the other high flocculating English strains.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bri...7/index40.html

Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #55
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My batch is just over two weeks into fermentation and it's still active. I plan on letting it go at least 4-6 weeks before bottling it up. Once I pitch the yeast for a batch, these days, the fermenter doesn't get moved, at all, until it's going to be bottled up. So if it's off-gassing enough to move the airlock, there's something going on inside.

I did have activity pretty quickly using this yeast for the first time. I don't know (yet) what it's really going to bring to the brew, but I'm looking to get another packet of it this week. I might just hold onto it for the batch after this weekends, or one in the next month or two. I'm looking to get a home brew fridge shortly (in the next several days) so I'll have a safe place to store packets of yeast. When I get yeast, especially when I request it from the LHBS, it's very, very, very fresh. So, I'll have at least a few months to use it before I might run into any issues. A simple starter should eliminate those issues too.

IMO, if you didn't let the brew go long enough in primary, then I'm not really surprised you had issues. Especially since the info card specifically states: "A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete." IMO, that's not going to happen when you go ~2 weeks from pitch to bottling.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #56
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer
will do. brewin' saturday.

provided the yeast hasn't frozen by now. it's sitting on my doorstep. it's a balmy 10F outside. -3F windchill....
Geez, you live in Nunavut?

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #57
14thstreet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IMO, if you didn't let the brew go long enough in primary, then I'm not really surprised you had issues. Especially since the info card specifically states: "A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete." IMO, that's not going to happen when you go ~2 weeks from pitch to bottling.
Generally, I might agree with you but it's been my experience that my fermentation (gravity, airlock activity, etc) is finished by 7-10 days. I always let primary go an additional week or two depending on the time I have. For me, the yeast only once in 7 fermentations (2 yeast packets going 3-4 generations on repitches, with or without starters) has given me perceptible notes of diacetyl, so I feel the yeast is cleaning up after itself if it's making it at all. I've had no similar issues with this strain when kegging.

But yes, I check the final gravity of my next pint to see if it's moved further south in the bottle.

bierhaus15, I've been following that thread and I find it hard to believe that in all the years 1968/002 has been out, it doesn't have the reputation for that as say Ringwood would for "ease of use." Certainly strains can change over time, lot to lot more likely, and "container shock" could also be an issue. I'd really be interested to see the QA/QC of both White Labs and Wyeast. The only beers I've made with 1968 was a malted cider and a Fullers Porter clone. Didn't have problems with those but again, may not happen all the time.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #58
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
Geez, you live in Nunavut?
no, wisconsin....that post was in the middle of January.

i've found this strain is best extremely young. i've never had to do a d-rest.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #59
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I really like this yeast. Behaves very well at warmer fermentation temps (not excessively fruity or estery), attenuates well, flocculates well...great to work with!

Currently using my third generation of 1882, can see going to six at least then trying to bank some.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #60
14thstreet
Recipes 

osagedr, what beers have you been brewing with 1882? Any bottle-conditioned? The beers I've made with 1882 and 1469 (another english limited release strain) have given me issues when I've bottled. Something resembling an infection but no real off-flavors except those associated with overcarbonation. Yeast (I hope) sticking to the sides of the bottle may be providing some nucleation points. Need to warm up the bottles and decarbonate to get a better experience.

I've kegged once with 1882 and of course did not experience any of these issues. Has me up a wall about what's going on.

Quick Reply