The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1728-Scottish Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
kmlavoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 1728-Scottish Ale

I have a question for anyone who has experience with this strain.

I used it for the first time last weekend. I probably pitched a few degrees higher than they recommend, but it was a similar temp to my starter. I got pretty quick signs of attenuation (lots of swirly yeast in the carboy), but it never really got that foamy krauesen you would expect to see. Has anyone else had this experience with this particular strain? I know it's a slow attenuator, and I was thinking I'd take a sample to test tomorrow, but it would be nice to know.

lavoyboysbrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
SamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlavoy View Post
I have a question for anyone who has experience with this strain.

I used it for the first time last weekend. I probably pitched a few degrees higher than they recommend, but it was a similar temp to my starter. I got pretty quick signs of attenuation (lots of swirly yeast in the carboy), but it never really got that foamy krauesen you would expect to see. Has anyone else had this experience with this particular strain? I know it's a slow attenuator, and I was thinking I'd take a sample to test tomorrow, but it would be nice to know.
i've just used it for my dark schottish ale! I bottoled today and the AA was almost 77%... and i had a very thin krausen too!!

I would not worry about it! maybe it's just a characteristic of this yeast...

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I've used it a few times, and actually have it in my Scottish 70/- right now. I've always fermented it in a bucket or corny keg, so I can't help with how it looks during fermentation.

How long has it been going? I know Jamil recommends a fairly long ferment around 60-65*F.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
rijtjeshuis
Recipes 

Default I love it when we're krausen together!

I've just made a starter with the 1728 ( I'm about 17 hours in now) - I've also noticed a very small krausen as well. It's pretty much kept in the 1/2 inch area (fermenting at about 19*C (@65*F)).
Nonetheless, the airlock is going nuts (burps every 10 secs of so).

I've heard some reports of a huge krausen with this strain - but the majority seems to be that it produces an abnormally small one, so I'm inclined to believe that this is a characteristic of the strain.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
GrainCounter
Recipes 

I recently brewed a 60/- with White Labs Edinburgh, their Scottish strain, and it also had virtually no krausen, just like the Wyeast. It really reminded me of a lager fermentation.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
llama_boy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Fermenting an IPA with this strain now. The OG was 1.063 and within 36 hours it hit FG of 1.007. I waited another 24 hours and tested again and no movement, still 1.007. I expect the very high attenuation is due to using sugar to dry out the IPA (~13%).

As for krausen, I ferment 11 gallons in a 14 gallon conical and 1728 doesn't demand a blow-off but I do know the krausen grows ~6" due to yeast deposits left on the temperature probe. Curiously, the last batch was a relatively light 1.048 yet produced the same height of krausen.

IPA was fermented at 66* and the lighter "bastard Kolsch" was fermented at 58*. Kolsch had a 4.5l starter and the IPA was a re-pitch of 700ml of slurry.

The smell from the samples has been outstanding. Very malty but not a overly sweet malt rather a roasty/toasty nose. Clarity has been very quick without the use of any clarifiers. The yeast drops quickly and creates a dense thick cake.

Tasting notes are still pending some aging.

YMMV

Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I read this thread a few days ago before pitching to know what to expect from this strain with my IIPA, and was expecting a small krausen.

The krausen is massive on my beer. I've noticed a big difference since I started to aerate with pure O2 (0.5 micron stone).

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just brewed a strong scotch ale on Saturday with OG 1.080 with this yeast. I'm fermenting at 58F. It had a small krausen until this morning. The krausen was near the airlock in my 6.5 gallon carboy, so I put in a blowoff tube. I pitched a pretty big starter, so maybe that's why it's got such a high krausen.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I use this yeast quite a bit. Sometimes the kraeusen is huge, and sometimes it's nearly nonexistent. It's rarely anywhere in the middle. I can't figure out which it's going to be, and that's the only issue I have with this yeast. It's a little unpredictable in this sense.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
fxdrider
Slightly Better than Mediocre Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Sometimes the kraeusen is huge
That's the experience I had when I pitched 2 packets of this yeast into a 5 gallon batch of Bourbon Barrel Porter 3 weeks ago. It actually blew the lid open on my bucket fermenter! OG was 1.074, and when I racked to secondary after 2 weeks, gravity came in at 1.007! The massive kraeusen had completely disappeared when I opened up the primary fermenter (or should I say - "re-opened"?).
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit!

Trinken Sie das Bier, das hat Sie gebraut!

Quick Reply