Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
sockmerchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

This strain sounds interesting but can't see much info on what people actually thought of it. Is it a new one? Any thought?

From wyeast:

"Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)"

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I am guessing that no one has a brew that is done yet. It was released in January, so if you count for a long ferment, and long bottle condition, then no one has a brew that is done yet.

I am curious also about this yeast. I brew a lot of Belgians and may just try it soon.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just bottled a Belgian Dark Strong with Wyeast Belgian Schelde yeast and would be interested in the same information with this strain.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I am guessing that no one has a brew that is done yet. It was released in January, so if you count for a long ferment, and long bottle condition, then no one has a brew that is done yet.

I am curious also about this yeast. I brew a lot of Belgians and may just try it soon.
Well seeing as most of their pc strains aren't once offs I thought it might have been released in a previous year

Might just grab some and see
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I gots some at home right now.
Brewed a Dark Mild a few weeks ago, will be kegging it tonight.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed an Oatmeal Stout and a dubbel with it. My impression is that it is a very clean (for a belgian) strain that can take some heat and leaves a malty impression. Does have an earthy note that doesn't go so great in the dubbel, but works ok enough in the stout, so heads up on that.

Peace and bacon grease

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Mattbrc2001
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post
This strain sounds interesting but can't see much info on what people actually thought of it. Is it a new one? Any thought?

From wyeast: "Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)"
I used Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout to make an Allagash Black Clone. Highly recommend this yeast. It gives just enough aromas and esters to still have that Belgian feel to it, but it still fermented out REALLY dry and clean, and let the resulting beer have a fantastic malt and roast character. (I wouldn't use it for dubbel, blonde or trippel).

Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
iowabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As long as this has come back to life...

I used 1581 on well, a stout. OG 1.085 brought it down to 1.020. Really liked the flavor profile. As stated above it has just enough esters and attenuated very well.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just used it as well for a belgian stout on sour cherries. The base beer was pretty good before I added it to the cherries. I have been adding the dark malts at the end of the mash to all my dark beers lately so the smooth roast goes real well the belgian esters this one puts out. They are pretty subdued but I did ferment it pretty warm so if you did it cool I could imagine it being clean. There is a slight earthiness but it goes well with the dark malts. Have never had hercules (supposed to be where this strain came from) but I imagine I would enjoy it from my initial tastes with this beer.

Quick Reply