Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1450 - Denny's Fave Experiences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #41
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The pacman is great, but the Denny's brings out the malt much more without being underattenuated or sweet.
Although I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with the added maltyness, it has me worried about NHC. They tend to be sticklers when it comes to identifying a beer properly. In the past this was entered in 22C as a Wood-Aged American IPA. Same hops, but do you think that the added malt character that Denny's brings will move it toward being an English IPA for the base beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
SmallBatchBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Although I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with the added maltyness, it has me worried about NHC. They tend to be sticklers when it comes to identifying a beer properly. In the past this was entered in 22C as a Wood-Aged American IPA. Same hops, but do you think that the added malt character that Denny's brings will move it toward being an English IPA for the base beer?
Being an English IPA has more to do with the hop profile and bitterness than anything. If you had an IPA with a good amount of body, but 80 IBU and all Centennial hops it would definitely be American.

Matt Becker
NewBrewThursday.com
NBTBrewing.com
twitter.com/smallbatchbrew

Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #43
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I made the RyeBanger with 1450 and it turned out awesome. Chinook and willamette really made a nice combo with my admittedly heavy load of crystal malt. Even with all that. Crystal there is very little head to this beer. Does rye do that? I've noticed it with commercial rye beers as well. Anyhoo, just wanted to post one of my best brews to date.

I hope the screenshot is legible for you all! I need beersmith.......or something to make recipes easier to share.

image-33713086.jpg  

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #44
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

I thought the Oaked IPA with Denny's turned out good . . . the judges, not so much. That's OK. Three more bottles for me.

Brewed a different batch yesterday with third generation of 1450. Called it Two Hopped IPA. Kind of a play on Bell's Two Hearted. It was Two Hopped with 1/3 Columbus and 2/3 Cascade to see if the rumors of that combination mimicking Centennial are true. Pitch the yeast at 9pm. Woke up around 2am and had to check. A good krausen had formed and airlocks were doing their thing. Looking forward to a tasty IPA.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I just pitched some Denny's yeast into my Fat Sam recipe (it's a balanced amber).

The whole brewday was a disaster yesterday from an inoperable pump to a clogged CFC. I ended up doing my first no-chill batch.

Anyway, I thought the Denny's yeast might accentuate some of the victory/maris otter maltiness and I had high hopes for that recipe. Until I brewed it, that is. Oh well. It's certainly not the yeast's fault.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
. . . an inoperable pump to a clogged CFC. I ended up doing my first no-chill batch.
I hate getting rid of my old stuff. Still have my first three gallon MLT in the basement thinking that some day I may want to do a quick PM. Haven't touched it in something like four years.

The moral of the story is that if I ever move to a CFC, I'll now have an excuse to hang onto my IC. Just incase! My wife would say that you’re feeding my hoarder mentality (but she’s worse than me.)

Took a look at your recipe and was sad to read what the motivation was for brewing it yesterday. Even with the brewday mishaps, I’m sure that Mike will be looking over this batch to make sure it comes out perfect.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #47
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

how would you guys describe this yeast? do you think it adds a unique flavor/aroma to the beer? i used it in a cream ale and pitched the yeast cake into a dennys rye batch, and both beers have this very unique flavor and even an aroma that i am not sure i like. i am just looking for more comments on the flavor or aroma so i can pin down if its the yeast or some funk in my last brews.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #48
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedo
how would you guys describe this yeast? do you think it adds a unique flavor/aroma to the beer? i used it in a cream ale and pitched the yeast cake into a dennys rye batch, and both beers have this very unique flavor and even an aroma that i am not sure i like. i am just looking for more comments on the flavor or aroma so i can pin down if its the yeast or some funk in my last brews.
What temp did you ferment? This yeast gives me nothing but pleasant tastes at 63F. But I never used it in something light as a cream ale. Denny's rye i made was great.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #49
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Both were around 65 ferm temps

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #50
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'll resurrect this thread to mention my happiness with my first use of 1450. It's in a NB Tallgrass Oasis. Made a starter 32 hours before and pitched at 67 degrees and in 4 hours, it started and is still going strong 4 days later. I've read that some feel attenuation isn't best but I'm more into final flavor and feel so even if I don't get the attenuation I want, I'm happy with it.
I plan on washing this yeast and using very soon in 2 more, different type brews.

Quick Reply