Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1332 Northwest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
jlpred55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wyeast 1332 Northwest

I just wanted to share my experience with this strain. I have used it a few times now on a variety of ales like APA's, Ambers etc. It is a very nice strain IMO. It doesn't attenuate much past 73-74%. It seems to tolerate upper 60's fermentation temps well with no off flavors. I even warm it up to mid 70's to kick out a few more points out of it. I usually keep primary ferment temps for it at 67%. It floc's out nicely as well. My beers I used it with all have a nice rich malt backbone and it seems to pair well with more aggressive hopping. The APA I brewed with it had a touch over 50 IBUS and the balance is excellent, very similar to Red Seal Ale. I know some users have reported a tart finish but I haven't at all. I am really not even getting too much fruit out of it. There is just enough there to keep it interesting. I know a lot of people love the chico strain but this is a nice alternative to the dry beers that seems to give me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

I also love this strain! I tried to ferment it warmer this past winter- to coax some esters out of it. It got up to 73 degrees during the height of fermentation, but still was very "clean" tasting. I like it particularly for IPAs and APAs.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Ghostface
Recipes 

Tis is good to hear! I am using it right now for the first time in a Amber American, my temp is bouncing back and forth from 68-70 degrees. I wondered why more don't use this strain?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It will do good in your Amber. That temp is fine for it. Make sure you give it plenty of time in primary. At least 2 weeks.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
bitterpeanut
Recipes 

I'm using this yeast for the first time. I'm excited to hear you are getting 73-74 %ADF out of this yeast. I've thrown it on a Red/Rye @ 1.066 and I'd be happy to get your range of attenuation out of this yeast. I'm fermenting around 65/66.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have used WLP041 which I think is the white labs equivalent for my copperhook clone and yes it does clear very nicely, I was able to get it to attenuate really well, I think it was 1.054 to 1.010 since copperhook finishes dry and gets 5.7% out of a 1.054 beer. I mashed at 150 though and a good starter.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
bitterpeanut
Recipes 

I mashed at 150 and had a 3l started. Wow, 80% out of the WLP041. I'm hoping for 1.017 to 1.015, 73 to 76%, but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get out of it. Thanks for sharing your experience with a similar yeast.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Resurrecting this thread....

I pitched this 1332 yeast yesterday on a 1.062 beer. Had good size starter and the yeast took off immediately.

My only concern is its fermenting at approx. 60 degrees. The Wyeast specs says 65˚ to 75˚. I'm familiar with issues with fermenting at too high a temp, are there any downsides to fermenting at too low a temp even if there is lots of activity and nice size krausen?

Planning on bring the carboys upstairs to raise the temp once the initial activity dies off a bit, but wondering if I should go ahead and to that now. If I move it upstairs it will probably raise the temp to approx. 65˚

Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter1932 View Post
I pitched this 1332 yeast yesterday on a 1.062 beer. Had good size starter and the yeast took off immediately.

My only concern is its fermenting at approx. 60 degrees. The Wyeast specs says 65˚ to 75˚. I'm familiar with issues with fermenting at too high a temp, are there any downsides to fermenting at too low a temp even if there is lots of activity and nice size krausen?

Planning on bring the carboys upstairs to raise the temp once the initial activity dies off a bit, but wondering if I should go ahead and to that now. If I move it upstairs it will probably raise the temp to approx. 65˚
How did this batch turn out for you? I have the same thing going on right now with 1332 in a 1.052 beer at 61-62 degrees. Activity has slowed down after about 3 days (now finishing 5th day). I thinking about warming this up to keep things going as others have said. I didn't get a OG measurement, just basing it on Northern's data sheet, but I'm working on getting a refractometer or something so I can actually keep track of it.

ETA: Received an email back from Wyeast in about 10 mins.

Quote:
1332 is a very flocculent strain of yeast. It will definitely slow down at those temperatures. It will take longer to finish out at 61, but it will finish. If you need it to finish quickly, I recommend increasing the temp asap.

Last edited by pvtschultz; 12-21-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added response from Wyeast

Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
How did this batch turn out for you? I have the same thing going on right now with 1332 in a 1.052 beer at 61-62 degrees. Activity has slowed down after about 3 days (now finishing 5th day). I thinking about warming this up to keep things going as others have said. I didn't get a OG measurement, just basing it on Northern's data sheet, but I'm working on getting a refractometer or something so I can actually keep track of it.

My batch turned out just fine. I was a little surprised at how long the krausen remained on top, over 3 weeks. Only when I added some dry hops did the krausen fall back.

My fermenting temperatures were just fine. 60˚ worked well, but I did end up raising the temp toward end of fermentation to around 65˚, but don't think it was really necessary. My apparent attenuation was 86, much higher that avg. for this strain; I think this maybe due to the freshness of yeast I bought.
Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Quick Reply