Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1318..... Omg!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuk View Post
A question I do have about skimming yeast is, even if im not plannimg to harvest should I skim it off anyway or just wait for it to fall out?
leave it there and wait for it to fall back into the beer (and settle at the bottom). no need to remove it. if anything, you'd be creating another opportunity for infection.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Love this yeast, one of my go to's for English beers.

To answer your last question, if you're not harvesting it, just leave it like SweetCell said, there's no need to mess with it. It'll sit up on the top longer than alot of yeasts, but the wait is worth it for sure.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is my next yeast that I'll harvest the cake and use for successive beers on my quest to calm my obsession with British ales.... I've done the 1469, now doing wlp002, and 1318 is up next.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuk View Post
A question I do have about skimming yeast is, even if im not plannimg to harvest should I skim it off anyway or just wait for it to fall out?

Cheers
You don't skim, BUT...

If you are doing an open fermentation, either rack from under the krausen to another closed and sanitized container or skim and close the container. I usually use buckets, so I get rid of the last skim and close the lid if I'm doing an open fermentation. I don't let it fall into the beer because there is all kind of assorted crap in it, mostly dust particles. There's a BrewingTV episode where they show someone using a fish gutter as an oipen fermntation vessel and he, imho, racks way too late from it since he waits until the krausen has fallen.

You don't need skim/transfer if you use the standard airlock + carboy/bucket method since there's no way for dust to get on the krausen. You might want to rack from underneath the krausen anyway if you want to package since I've had ferments with 1318 which still had a cheesy, hard cap on them after three weeks.

Quick Reply