The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Alcohol Tolerance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Alcohol Tolerance

I am planning a barley wine with OG in the 1.1000 range and I just harvested some super healthy slurry of 1275 from a red ale with 20 IBU and an OG of 1.050. Wyeast claims that it can go up to %10 ABV in it looks like an OG of 1.100 would be pushing or exceeding that capability.

Has anybody used 1275 on a barley wine or high ABV beer with success? I would hate to have a barley wine stall out on me, but I am really thinking I want a barley wine that focuses on malt with some unique yeast character.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
tyll-matic
Recipes 

It seems to me that if you really wanted the flavor/character imparted by 1275, you could start fermenting with that and finish with something fairly neutral with a higher alcohol tolerance. But considering I've never done anything like that before, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyll-matic
It seems to me that if you really wanted the flavor/character imparted by 1275, you could start fermenting with that and finish with something fairly neutral with a higher alcohol tolerance. But considering I've never done anything like that before, take my advice with a grain of salt.
Smartest first post I've read here. Spot on advice. You been reading "Yeast"?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
tyll-matic
Recipes 

I haven't; but I do try to read a lot of posts here and at other forums. I'm fairly new to brewing (since June of this year, done about seven batches myself and then some with my brew buddy); but I try to read all I can get my hands/web-browser on. My main resources for a while now have been John Palmer's "How to Brew" and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Palmer and Zainasheff. Yeast, though, and the other micro-organisms that we use in brewing are particularly fascinating to me. Is "Yeast" worth a read? In short, thanks for the compliment!

Permo - sorry for derailing your thread somewhat; did you decide what to do?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyll-matic View Post
Permo - sorry for derailing your thread somewhat; did you decide what to do?
I am actually thinking that I will pitch a pile of 1275 into the barley wine and then after a week I will pitch an actively fermenting WLP007 starter into the barley wine to help finish the job. I might even get some nice flavor from the WLP007. I am making a 10 gallon batch of barley wine with a 3 hour boil with a very simple grain bill. Simply a 55 pound sack of pearle pale ale malt. I need kettle caramelization and yeast character to really add to this barley wine. I am going to charge it with 80 IBU of columbus at 90 minutes with zero finishing hops ( well the verdict is still out on the hops....its either going to be zero finishing hops or a huge amount of chinook)

Quick Reply