Wyeast 1056 yeas starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
Only my third starter but I made about 1 liter of wort cooled to about 80
Had smacked the pack a couple hours before and pitched it
Used a grower so it was about half full and put a airlock on it after about 18 hrs it was Hibbing but no krausen and very little movement abou 1/4 inch cake on bottom swirled bottle around a bit and took off airlock and put on cleaned foil.

I did this same thing with another yeast an it we t crazy unlike this

My sort was before pitched was 1.043
Do you think yeast is growing or something wrong

put a airlock on it after about 18 hrs it was Hibbing but no krausen and very little movement abou 1/4 inch cake on bottom

I'm not sure what you mean by it was Hibbing - but don't expect too much airlock activity from a starter, especially very quickly and with that much headspace. It's probably fine! I did one with an older vial of white labs yeast that took 2 or 3 days to get going, but it was fine.

hibbing is my i phone type. was suppose to be bubbling. I think it is good was able to move it to a stir plate today and 1 litre flask with foil on top look good I am going to pitch in the moring.

haha! freakin' I-phones...
Yeah you should be good to go. Doing a starter at all, you're already ahead of many, many people who just pitch the pack. Good luck!

I have made quite a few starters using different yeasts. I have had the same yeast develop a krausen one time and absolutely none the next.

I have seen bubbles rising in most, unless the fermentation happened when I was not there.

I have also seen a change in the color and clarity of the starter wort.

After chilling so I could decant the liquid, I could see the increase in the volume of the yeast.

Back