Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 1028 London Ale attenuation
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,746
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Wyeast 1028 London Ale attenuation

Hey yall.

I recently brewed a N. English Brown.
Maris Otter base malt
1lb C40
0.5 Victory
0.75 Special Roast
0.25 C80
0.25 Chocolate Malt
Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 1 month old smack pack

Mashed @ 154, 1.052 OG

Aerated, 1.3L yeast starter, 8hr lagtime. Fermented @ 67F

I'm currently stuck @ 1.018. I used this yeast on a porter I brewed early in my beer career that stuck @ 1.020. That one was a little bigger though.

I'm trying to figure out what's up, this yeast should attenuate to at least 73%(according to spec) and I'm at just under 65%. It tasted fairly fruity, but otherwise very clean and delicious.

How does this yeast perform for you guys?

__________________

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 4,567
Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Default

How did you oxygenate? How much yeast did you pitch?

__________________
Edcculus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,746
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Aerated with a 2um scintered steel stone for an hour, 1.3L starter. Always use the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator. My beers usually attenuate very well.

__________________

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,901
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I am fermenting with this yeast now. My OG was 1.050 and 2 days in I am at 1.030. I'll be able to tell you in about a week how far I get. I do extracts though and RARELY even with proper pitching procedures do I do better than 70% attenuation.

Smizak I also just read you're in Buffalo. W-ville here. I got like NO snow today.

__________________
petep1980 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soperbrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 2,625
Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

How much base malt?

Just something I noticed is you have 2.75 lbs. of specialty grains. These may have more unfermentable sugars than the base malt. If 2.75 lbs. is a high percentage of the overall grain bill then your FG will be higher than if it was all base malt.

__________________
Soperbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,746
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
I am fermenting with this yeast now. My OG was 1.050 and 2 days in I am at 1.030. I'll be able to tell you in about a week how far I get. I do extracts though and RARELY even with proper pitching procedures do I do better than 70% attenuation.

Smizak I also just read you're in Buffalo. W-ville here. I got like NO snow today.
Let me know how you do.

I <3 -2F wind chills BTW.
__________________

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,746
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
How much base malt?

Just something I noticed is you have 2.75 lbs. of specialty grains. These may have more unfermentable sugars than the base malt. If 2.75 lbs. is a high percentage of the overall grain bill then your FG will be higher than if it was all base malt.
That's an interesting point.

Especially if my efficiency is higher than a recipe was formulated for. I would extract a higher percentage of un-fermentable sugars vs. a lower efficiency, higher base-malt grain bill/process.

I've always wondered what effect efficiency has on SRM. Does a lower efficiency all-grain process have a lighter colored beer vs. a higher efficiency process and identical character malts? Hmmmm.
__________________

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,901
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Mine seems to be stalling around 1.018. LME was 55% of my grain bill, and DME the other 45%. My SG was 1.050. I also pitched just above 70°F and fermented at 63/64°F. I'm going to move it to 69/70°F for a couple days, then back to the basement and give it another 9-10 days. I don't have time for syphoning or bottling, so this will get the benefit of an extended primary fermentation.

__________________
petep1980 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,746
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
Mine seems to be stalling around 1.018. LME was 55% of my grain bill, and DME the other 45%. My SG was 1.050. I also pitched just above 70°F and fermented at 63/64°F. I'm going to move it to 69/70°F for a couple days, then back to the basement and give it another 9-10 days. I don't have time for syphoning or bottling, so this will get the benefit of an extended primary fermentation.
Mine's cold crashing as we speak. Stuck a sanitized racking cane in and roused the yeast, cranked up the temp to 72F, got one more point out of it, FG 1.017->66% attenuation. It's really not bad when you consider, as Soperbrew pointed out, that over 25% of my grain bill was specialty grains.

Gotta scale back my specialty malts more. I'm used to seeing recipes adding a pound of this, pound of that, with me not consideration for differing efficiency.

It does, however, point out an annoying oversight with the Beersmith software. It does not factor at all differing amounts of fermentability in specialty malts vs. base malts. I tested it by subbing my 8.5 lb of Maris Otter with Caramel 120, it still says I should get an FG of 1.012!
__________________

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

smizak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
MultumInParvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 791
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I used this yeast for my favorite beer yet (a mild). I think the problem is that it clears SO fast. The yeast was done, and dropping out of suspension within 48 hours or so. That being said, I have no idea what my FG was since I broke my hydro right after taking the OG, and have yet to replace it.

Mine tasted good. Give it a taste, and if its good, who cares about the FG?

__________________
MultumInParvo is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wyeast 1028 London Ale question woodenbuick Fermentation & Yeast 1 10-19-2009 06:57 PM
Pale Ale with 1028 London Yeast Toby2 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 09-28-2009 11:51 PM
Cream ale with Wyeast 1028 London Ale? Lando Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 05-15-2009 03:01 AM
Wyeast 1028 81% attenuation? goswell All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 02-28-2009 05:01 PM
substitute for 1028 london ale in sweet stout blakelock Recipes/Ingredients 0 11-10-2008 02:00 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS