LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
batfishdog37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wyeast 1007

Did a search, didn't get much. So.....

Anyone have good experience with 1007? I have a primary going with it right now. Going for 5 days, OG was 1.052 current SG is 1.032. Wyeast claims it ferments down in the 55F range, I have it at about 58F, never fermented an ale that cold but thought it would be worth a try seeing as this yeast can do it, apparently. Made a half-gallon starter, mashed at 150F, pretty damn big krausen, bubbling a bit slower but still bubbling(not that it means a whole lot). No real worries just don't know much about the yeast and its ways other than what wyeast says, low flocc and good attenuation. I guess i'm just curious about anyone else's experience with 1007.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wyeast 1007 is one of my favorites - very reliable, and highlights malty notes very well. My basement is gets down to 52F in the winter, and it ferments just fine at least down to that temperature.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
Wyeast 1007 is one of my favorites - very reliable, and highlights malty notes very well. My basement is gets down to 52F in the winter, and it ferments just fine at least down to that temperature.
Same for me

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm working on an Alt with this one right now, at around 53 degrees. It's been less than 24 hours since pitching so, no noticable activity yet. But I had a 1.5L starter on a stir plate and gave it 50 seconds of pure O2, so I expect a healthy ferment.

I gave the fermenter under the stairs the wet t-shirt treatment to try to nudge it below 60 and freaked out this morning when I saw it had dropped down to 52. I am so glad to hear that it can hold its own down that far even.

The plan is to ferment this for a couple weeks in primary, with a bump in temp at the end, and finally to let it sit in secondary in my frosty garage for another 4 weeks before kegging. (Hopefully my current kegs can hold out that long.)

Feeling very excited about this one. Munichy malty goodness, here I come!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
zgoda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is one of my favourite yeasts. Altbiers, kolsch, gratzer, buckwheat ales - everything cleanly fermented, from 55F up to 65F without esters. Not as flocculent as 2565, but give cleaner taste, less winey. And mature quickly - the beer is ready for serving in 4 weeks.

Nobody expects Spanish infection!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

it also ferments just fine in the mid to low 60's, thats what the kolsch breweries in koln do. anything but too warm is good for that yeast. it takes longer than your average ale yeast to flocculate so be patient and you'll be rewarded

Old 12-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Usually when the ferment temps get down into the 50's the yeast take a little longer to finish up. Nothing to worry about though.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfishdog37 View Post
Did a search, didn't get much. So.....

Anyone have good experience with 1007? I have a primary going with it right now. Going for 5 days, OG was 1.052 current SG is 1.032. Wyeast claims it ferments down in the 55F range, I have it at about 58F, never fermented an ale that cold but thought it would be worth a try seeing as this yeast can do it, apparently. Made a half-gallon starter, mashed at 150F, pretty damn big krausen, bubbling a bit slower but still bubbling(not that it means a whole lot). No real worries just don't know much about the yeast and its ways other than what wyeast says, low flocc and good attenuation. I guess I'm just curious about anyone else's experience with 1007.

As far as I understand it, 1007 is basically an Altbier strain which is why it can tolerate much cooler temperatures than other ale yeasts. The low flocculation is a genetic trait which allows it to stay in suspension instead of floccing out when the temperatures gets cool. And as such, beers fermented with this strain must almost always be lagered to achieve good clarity. However, it's an extremely clean yeast which makes it suitable for almost any style of beer where yeast character isn't important. I really like this strain.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Mine's warmed up from 52 to 56 and seems to be holding steady thanks to this arctic Chicago weather. Only into day 2 now, but it looks like a healthy ferment so far. Medium rocky head, lots of chunks swirling up and down.

Oh maaaaaannn... I'm excited...

Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

what kinda beer you makin?

Quick Reply