Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wow!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
homebrewertodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wow!

So, I started my holiday beer two days ago. Got it in the fermenter. This year, I decided to do a starter, as this is a big beer, (1.100) using a blend of two yeasts. So, I gave it 24 hours, shaking it every time I walked by. By brew day, I had quite the collection of yeast. I pitched it and put it away, with a blowoff tube hooked up, I was afraid and being cautious. Within six hours , holy crap!! They were going nuts! I actually had to switch my blowoff tube from a gallon milk jug to a 5 gallon bucket! Well, 36 hours later, I decided to change the water in the blowoff, because of the smell, (didn't bother me, but the wife doesn't like it), I dumped the bucket, and to my disbelief, there was like an inch thick yeast cake! Is that normal? I'm assuming that just means that the yeast was so active, some if it just flowed out the blowoff. Any advice on this? Also, I plan on washing this and storing if the beer turns out well. Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewertodd
So, I started my holiday beer two days ago. Got it in the fermenter. This year, I decided to do a starter, as this is a big beer, (1.100) using a blend of two yeasts. So, I gave it 24 hours, shaking it every time I walked by. By brew day, I had quite the collection of yeast. I pitched it and put it away, with a blowoff tube hooked up, I was afraid and being cautious. Within six hours , holy crap!! They were going nuts! I actually had to switch my blowoff tube from a gallon milk jug to a 5 gallon bucket! Well, 36 hours later, I decided to change the water in the blowoff, because of the smell, (didn't bother me, but the wife doesn't like it), I dumped the bucket, and to my disbelief, there was like an inch thick yeast cake! Is that normal? I'm assuming that just means that the yeast was so active, some if it just flowed out the blowoff. Any advice on this? Also, I plan on washing this and storing if the beer turns out well. Thanks for any help.
The yeast in the blowoff bucket probably wasn't in the most sanitary conditions. Id discard it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
homebrewertodd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Reading that back, that sounds like I'm going to keep the yeast in the blowoff. Sorry. I already got rid of that, I was talking about the yeast in the fermenter. Seems to be really good, active yeast. But, my question still needs answered, is this normal/acceptable? I have never had a batch take off like this before

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That happens to me quite often, especially when I use 1056 American Ale yeast. I pitch big starters at high krausen or pitch on top of the yeast cake. It takes off within three hours and goes absolutely bonkers. One time the half gallon growler I use with the blowoff tube was actually shaking from the force of the blowoff.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Yes, this can be normal and nothing to worry about. In addition you blended two yeasts with a starter!

As for your comment about washing and storing I would possibly think twice although someone else may chime in differently. Because you blended two yeasts there is the possibility that one out performed the other and there may also be mutations that occurred, not necessarily a bad thing but I think the predictability of any batch to follow may prove to be very off from the original beer and may also possibly lead to a wild yeast issue, just my .02..............

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
One time the half gallon growler I use with the blowoff tube was actually shaking from the force of the blowoff.

That is like homebrew rock star stuff right there!!
Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
homebrewertodd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Was I not supposed to blend yeasts? Or was I not supposed to blend yeasts with a starter? Or both? Lol. Sorry, starters and blending yeasts are new to me. I followed the advise of the guy who works at the lhbs, and is a brewer at the local brewery. Because they didn't have the strain I wanted. I needed wlp 545. He told me to blend white labs rapist and wlp500.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
homebrewertodd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Tapist, Tapist. Sorry, Damn predictive writing on this phone!!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lol Trappist

Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

WLP500 is Chimay's yeast, this is a beastly Trappist yeast.
Did you blend this with another yeast from one of the other Trappist breweries?

You have a very aggressive Belgium yeast now; I would defiantly save it and follow up with a Triple.
After a few generations it may change a bit, whatever strain is the strongest will likely out breed the other.

Quick Reply