Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Would you make a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
soulfegebrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Would you make a starter?

I'm brewing a porter with the OG of 1.056. The yeast I'm using is a vial of white labs WLP013. Their website says that each vial has 70-140 billion cells. The Palmer book states that ales with an OG of 1.055-1.065 should have 110-170 billion cells in a five gallon batch. The Palmer book also says that "Lower pitching rates produce more aromatics and esters than higher pitching rates." So would you make a starter, or would you just pitch the vial?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfegebrewing
I'm brewing a porter with the OG of 1.056. The yeast I'm using is a vial of white labs WLP013. Their website says that each vial has 70-140 billion cells. The Palmer book states that ales with an OG of 1.055-1.065 should have 110-170 billion cells in a five gallon batch. The Palmer book also says that "Lower pitching rates produce more aromatics and esters than higher pitching rates." So would you make a starter, or would you just pitch the vial?
Yes. Go to Www.yeastcalc.com plug in the numbers and date and you'll see how large a starter you need

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Technically with a 1.050 beer you won't have to haw a starter, but IMO you should make a starter. I make starters for any beer over 1.040, not because it won't ferment without one, but because I always make better beer with proper pitching rates.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Josh_K
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would definitely make a starter for the simple reason that it ensures a proper pitching rate. I don't know that there's many people on this forum that would advise you not to make one.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
I make starters for any beer over 1.040, not because it won't ferment without one, but because I always make better beer with proper pitching rates.
+1. Underpitching will stress yeast and cause them to produce off flavors. The goal is to keep the yeast as happy as possible so they will do their job well. Here's another pitching calculator that I always use: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
stpetebrewer
Recipes 

I would make one. I make one anytime I use a liquid yeast. Doing a starter is too easy and well worth it.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depending on the age, and what yeastcalc gives me for cell count (of yeast being used and batch needs) I'd make a starter. My normal MO is to make a starter for all beers anyway. With a stirplate, it's easy and normally they finish pretty fast (faster than without a stirplate). I then cold crash them so that I can decant and pitch JUST the yeast slurry.

I also use pure O2 to infuse my wort (and musts) before pitching yeast (and sometimes 12-18 hours later, for bigger items).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
wiggybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

If the yeast is one month old or less just pitch without a starter, But then again I make three gallon batches. Doh!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggybrewer View Post
If the yeast is one month old or less just pitch without a starter, But then again I make three gallon batches. Doh!
Again, use yeastcalc to figure it out by batch size, OG, and yeast production date.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would make a starter with any liquid yeast but I like to see my beers start fast and furious.

Quick Reply