Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Worth it to harvest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I think it's wort a try. Stressed yeast is more genetically different than the original strain. Under low stress yeast reproduces by budding so the child cells have almost identical DNA to the parents. Stress encourages yeast to reproduce sexually causing different DNA in the children. This can cause recessive traits to become active in the child cells making them preform different than the parents.
I just read that the brewing strains of S. cerevisiae no longer reproduce sexually at all, but there was no source given. Do you have some data on that? Not questioning, I just always like to have a source! I would have guessed that the changes in yeast from stress were (mostly) epigenetic and expression-based in nature.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I've read that yeast in general reproduces both ways, but not heard that brewers strains only reproduce by budding. Maybe I'm reading too much into what I am seeing, but some cells look conjoined. Not like groups of flocculating cells. They look like a bunch of grapes. I'll have to take a picture next time I see it.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is what I am seeing. It's much more clear on the scope than the image here that I took with my cell phone.

(A) Yeast Budding
(B) What looks like conjoined cells to me.

cell-growth.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Is it beneficial to have a lower OG for a yeast harvest when a small amount of viable yeast is suspected? Or, another way to ask... Is it possible to have an OG that is too high for the yeast to work and multiply?

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 View Post
Is it beneficial to have a lower OG for a yeast harvest when a small amount of viable yeast is suspected? Or, another way to ask... Is it possible to have an OG that is too high for the yeast to work and multiply?
Sure. I harvest yeast all the time from my IPA and dubbel. I wouldn't try it with my quad or old ale, though. I think it was Chris White that said it's better to use fresh yeast from a bigger beer than older yeast from a smaller beer.

Many strains can ferment up to or past 10% abv. They don't really require any special treatment to take a 1.065 IPA down to 1.012. I think they are good to go for another round.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If the beer ferments then the yeast have multiplied. At higher gravities they may multiple less, but they will reproduce. Even if you had a 1.150 wort the slurry at the end would have more cells than were pitched. For yeast propagation the golden number seems to be 1.036 or 9 degrees Plato. This is essentially the peak of the curve when looking at DME per cell produced.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to harvest pacman from 2 different bombers. I used a 1/2c DME with 2c water for the starter. Boosted it once with the same mix. It been over 48 hours and I don't see any yeast. Just the grey-brown trub. There is some krausen-like material floating but it's not too impressive.

Same thing happened when I tried to harvest Chimay. Don't know if I could do anything different for a better outcome. I follow good antiseptic technique and have done other strains successfully in the past. Would a weaker OG wort solution make it easier for the yeast to get started?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to harvest pacman from 2 different bombers. I used a 1/2c DME with 2c water for the starter. Boosted it once with the same mix. It been over 48 hours and I don't see any yeast. Just the grey-brown trub. There is some krausen-like material floating but it's not too impressive.

Same thing happened when I tried to harvest Chimay. Don't know if I could do anything different for a better outcome. I follow good antiseptic technique and have done other strains successfully in the past. Would a weaker OG wort solution make it easier for the yeast to get started?
I think half a cup of DME might be a tad to much for bottle harvesting. Try do a much smaller start. You got remember you don't have much viable yeast in there to begin with. You have to step it up.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Agreed. A bottle has roughly 2 billion cells in it. 50ml is a good size for the first step to get things going.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Recipes 

Ok. Thanks again. So should I dilute the current project with water or decant and try over with a weaker wort?

Quick Reply