Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Worth it to harvest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
BassBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Worth it to harvest?

Tomorrow I'll be racking my India Black Ale to a keg and hope to harvest/wash some yeast. I used a total of 8oz. of hops in the 5gal batch, only 2 of which were pellets and contributed to the trub. I dryhopped in primary with 2oz leaf hops. Do you all think it'd be worth the trouble and would the yeast be healthy enough to make a starter from? OG was 1.072, FG 1.018. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That is pretty high OG to harvest yeast form, you can do it but yeast is probably stressed.
My usual rule of thumb is to harvest under 1.070, or even 1.060 when I know that strain is tough to harvest (like wlp300) or I'll run in other difficulties with it.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
moski
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Even if the yeasts were stressed during the fermentation wouldn't they recover once into a clean unstressing environment? It's not like their bio-makeup has changed. I thought once the stressors are removed they would perform normally, esp. a few generations downstream after a healthy step up.

Before you judge someone, be sure to walk a mile in their kilt. That way you are at least a mile away, and you have their kilt...

What?! Fifteen cases of beer and not a drop to drink!

Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by moski View Post
Even if the yeasts were stressed during the fermentation wouldn't they recover once into a clean unstressing environment? It's not like their bio-makeup has changed. I thought once the stressors are removed they would perform normally, esp. a few generations downstream after a healthy step up.
Sounds like you're going to do it regardless of what we say I say go for it and once you make a good starter from it, call it a win!

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
moski
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I'll give the experiment a go but I'm not the OP. I was suggesting that maybe the stress is a situational thing and the yeasts are able to recover from that given optimal conditions. I was remembering a "no secondary ferm" thread where a couple of our "elders" washed yeasts from a month long primary or better. Some of the posts and related threads suggested that the yeasts can come back from quite a bit with time and optimal growth conditions.

I"m initiating an experiment to see if I can harvest yeasts from a commercial unfiltered wheat beer. I'll report back.

Before you judge someone, be sure to walk a mile in their kilt. That way you are at least a mile away, and you have their kilt...

What?! Fifteen cases of beer and not a drop to drink!

Reason: spelling errorr

Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I think it's wort a try. Stressed yeast is more genetically different than the original strain. Under low stress yeast reproduces by budding so the child cells have almost identical DNA to the parents. Stress encourages yeast to reproduce sexually causing different DNA in the children. This can cause recessive traits to become active in the child cells making them preform different than the parents.

I just pour the slurry into mason jars and put them in the fridge to save yeast. It's worked fine for me. From testing I have done it seems that yeast washing does not improve the quality of the yeast at all. It only throws away good cells.

Here is a write up:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...g-exposed.html

I would be happy to test your slurry. If you are interested send me a PM.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

707 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I think it's wort a try. Stressed yeast is more genetically different than the original strain. Under low stress yeast reproduces by budding so the child cells have almost identical DNA to the parents. Stress encourages yeast to reproduce sexually causing different DNA in the children. This can cause recessive traits to become active in the child cells making them preform different than the parents.

I just pour the slurry into mason jars and put them in the fridge to save yeast. It's worked fine for me. From testing I have done it seems that yeast washing does not improve the quality of the yeast at all. It only throws away good cells.

Here is a write up:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...g-exposed.html

I would be happy to test your slurry. If you are interested send me a PM.
Nice experiment, good info.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks Helibrewer! It's encouraging to hear that. It makes me want to continue to take the time to write up brewing experiments.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Great read.
I always though that more attenuate cells stays in suspension longer, so depending on strain we can concentrate on layer we want (more flocculent strains have lower attenuation and vice verse).

Did you compared how they act in wort, what was attenuation/flocc?

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diS View Post
Great read.
I always though that more attenuate cells stays in suspension longer, so depending on strain we can concentrate on layer we want (more flocculent strains have lower attenuation and vice verse).

Did you compared how they act in wort, what was attenuation/flocc?
Thanks. Good point about selecting cells. I didn't do any fermentation testing on the divided layers, but the WLP566 has been going like a champ through several batches.

Quick Reply