Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wort has surprisingly high OG - worried yeast might not be able to handle it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
whahoppened
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
Also, under pitching will add stress to the yeast causing them to produce more fermentation by-products like esters, etc., especially at the temperature you are fermenting at. Taking this into consideration, you might want give this beer more time than normal - at LEAST a month in primary. Then give it some time to bottle condition - if it were me, I would wait a minimum of another month before I opened one to taste it. This batch isn't ruined, but it might take some extra time and work to get it to finish out and taste as good as you want it to. Good luck!
When you say "at the temperature you are fermenting at", are you saying low 70's is a high temperature or a low temperature for this style of beer? I'm not a fan of estery flavors at all so I'd like to do what I can to hold them at bay. My house is naturally very cold and I have the heat up to try to encourage yeast growth, but it would be very easy to ferment at a lower temperature.

Last edited by whahoppened; 01-04-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Low 70's is a high temperature for most ale yeasts (excluding several Belgian strains, some of which can go all the way up to the 90s). The particular yeast you are using - Wyeast Irish Ale - tends to be very estery once you get into the high 60s and low 70s. Here is the description from their website:

This yeast ferments well in dark roast worts. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce dry and crisp beers to fruity beers with nice complexity in the upper range. Ester production is enhanced with fermentation temperatures above 64 degrees F (18 C). Flocculation is low to moderate with filtration typically required.

Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 62-72F, 16-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Taking this into consideration, I would try to hold my fermentation temperature close to that 64 F mark if you don't like estery beers - this shouldn't be too hard to do in the winter. Just remember that heat generated during vigorous fermentation can cause the actual temperature of the beer to be up to 8ish degrees higher than ambient temperature - probably less for you because you under pitched.

Fermometers are a nice, cheap and simple way to know the temperature of your beer (almost everyone carries them). If you keep your fermenter in water to help regulate the temperature, just be sure to stick it on horizontally above the water line. They get kind of screwy after prolonged exposure to water.

Last edited by NCBeernut; 01-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
whahoppened
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks again for all your replies. In case anyone was holding his or her breath waiting to learn the fate of my brew, I posted an update and some follow-up questions on a different thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/too...7/#post1800487

Quick Reply