Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > worried about my starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
rhltechie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default worried about my starter

hey all,

i usually make my starter roughly 24 hours before i brew. I've always done the same thing using the ratio of 3oz of dme to 1L of water. I add some o2 and yeast nutrient, put it on the stir plate and 24 hours i usually have some krauzen or at least pretty good foam head. Well, I got home late last night and didnt get my starter made until bout 11pm. I did the same as always and now today, I am not sure if its just the time lapse or if something is wrong as i see no visible signs. I stopped the stir plate for a lil while to see if it would form a layer on the bottom...it did start to form one so I shook it around and back on the stir plate. after I shook it around i see little white flakes on the surface, i've never seen that before. Should I be worried i have a dead starter or just RDWHAHB and wait a few hours before i start brewing to give it a while before i pitch. hopefully someone is on that can help! lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Could run to LHBS, grab some dry yeast just in case it doesn't pick back up by the time you're ready to pitch... Or grab a couple vials... Not sure what the white flakes are, unless it is from the nutrient, but it would scare me also... good luck

Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Wolfy
Recipes 

Checking the gravity is really the only way you'll know if the yeast have done their job.
It seems that visible activity and kräusen are not really a good measure of starter viability.
But if you have a nice layer of yeast at the bottom, most likely it's good to use.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
rhltechie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well...it had started to foam a little by the time my brew was over, so i just pitched it last night. woke up this morning to happy yeasts eating away the sugars....it doesnt look as vigorous as it usually does so may be a slow fermenter but still going none the less.

thanks!

Quick Reply