The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wondering about yeast generations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
ukeedogs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default wondering about yeast generations

I use Jamils starter step up calculator for my yeast and always save half of it in my keezer in a sterilized mason jar for later use. I calculate its viability when im ready to use it again and its been workin awesome, ive used one pack of 1056 for like, 5 months now, and brewed at least 10 carboys with it. Im wondering if i should start to worry about the yeast starting to mutate from too many generations? Ive read on here that its probly OK because the yeast isnt growing that much compared to reusing yeast thats fermented a whole carboy. Any advise?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
el_caro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that you do not store from the yeast in the carboy after brewing and the 10 brews are from stepped up starters of the original 1056 pack.

If you are not stressing the yeast and storing them under optimum conditions then you could go on for ages without noticing any mutation I believe.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

If it continues to make great beer, no worries. If you have longer lag times, incomplete attenuation, or off flavors, pitch it and start over.

If your "saved" yeast isn't touching the beer, sanitation and temp control are your only real concerns.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply