The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wlp833 and your experience. Help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
TxBrewHouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wlp833 and your experience. Help needed

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of mai boch. I used wlp833. The wort was at 70 F, I pitched straight from the tube to the carboys. And they were placed in my freezer at 50 F. That was Saturday at 7:30. Still no signs of anything. Did I pitch wrong or is this a slow slow yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Kentunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lager yeasts in particular can be slow starters. Also more co2 will dissolve into solution at those lower temps so that too will contribute to delayed signs of fermentation.

But if you pitched straight from a single vial into 10 gallons of maibock, you'll experience some additional lag time due to underpitching. That would be something you'd want to correct if you can get more WLP833.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

How many tubes? Did you aerate? This is why people preach starters, especially for lagers. Going from 70F to 50F is not ideal either. Next time cool the wort into the lower 50's then pitch. For now, just keep rousing it until you see activity.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really appreciate the help. I put the wort into 2 carboys, each holding 5 gallons each. I vigorously rocked the carboys to aerate but not violently. I used 2 vials, I per carboy. Should I leave the temp at 50 F and continue to jostle them until I see signs of fermentation.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Kentunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes. Outside of buying more yeast that's probably the best option. They're gonna throw a lot of precursor while they get up to population so I would include a diacetyl rest on down the line.

A good pitch rate calc can be found at mrmalty.com for future ref. Lagers do need a buttload of yeast. Cheers.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like I'm making an hour and a half drive for more yeast. I'll leave it at 50 F and pitch a vial per carboy. In your opinion should I pitch the vials alone or use some starter. I have a feeling your gonna say use starter.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrewHouse View Post
Looks like I'm making an hour and a half drive for more yeast. I'll leave it at 50 F and pitch a vial per carboy. In your opinion should I pitch the vials alone or use some starter. I have a feeling your gonna say use starter.
You don't need a starter. But if you're not making a starter, you need more like 5 packs per carboy.

Consult mr malty's yeast pitching calculator for the correct amount: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just like to say thanks yooper for taking the time to help me out. I was going to drive today and feat more yeast but behold heavy fermentation. I agitated every couple of hours since your post and bam it worked. Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
DRog00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used this yeast for an oktoberfest, 2 tubes in 5 gallons at 60F. It took over 2 days to show signs of activity. If you read the whitelabs site, quite a few folks mention this is a very slow yeast. You will probably be fine without adding more yeast, but it won't hurt either. Once it gets going, get it down to 48.

BTW, this yeast fermented the beer down past what beersmith estimated. The fermentation is very clean.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

WLP 833 is pretty much my go to lager yeast now. I guess it helps that I like Ayinger's beers. With this yeast, as with any lager, you have to pitch enough. Unforunately 1 vial isn't enough for great results. Pitch enough yeast, and pitch when your wort is at or slightly below fermentation temps. 833 makes great malty lagers.

Quick Reply