Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP833 German Bock (Mai-bock)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
rgarcia78147
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default WLP833 German Bock (Mai-bock)

Just brewed a mai-bock all grain and used wlp833 x 2 vials, cooled wort down to around 80 degrees and chilled in chest freezer for around 4 hours at 40 degrees. I then took ferm bucket out of chest freezer and airated wort then add both vials. Current temp of chest freezer is 53 degrees, this will be my First lager and just curious how long it may take to see action on my bubbler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 18

There's no way to say exactly but it might be a day or two before any real action gets underway so just sit tight. Rather than use two containers of yeast, next time just use one but make a large yeast starter. That provides more yeast cells and a more active yeast than doubling up on two tubes.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
rgarcia78147
Recipes 

Thanks bigEd really should have made time for a starter. O by the way with a starter using lager yeast do u ferm starter at room temp or colder. Or do u ferm room temp and when yeast a happy and almst done, u place in colder temps?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just made a 1.060og Oktober with WLP833 and made a 1200mL starter, and keep it at 50* the whole time, then stepped it upped to 2L, with in 18hrs, it was bubbling away.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
LarMoeCur
Recipes 

I brewed a Miabock this weekend. I pitched a 1000 ml starter @ 50 F and didn't see the air lock rise until 24 hours later. I didn't see signs of fermentation for atleast 36 hours. Piching 2 yeast packs I'd say your looking at 48 the air lock should rise. Full fermentation at 72. It's cold in there and takes some time for them yeasties to get busy.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarcia78147 View Post
Thanks bigEd really should have made time for a starter. O by the way with a starter using lager yeast do u ferm starter at room temp or colder. Or do u ferm room temp and when yeast a happy and almst done, u place in colder temps?
Ferment them at room temp, the goal of the starter is to grow yeast not make beer. When the starter is finished fermenting, put the container in the fridge for at least 24 hours (anything over 48 hours not really needed). Then decant and pitch. Even if the yeast is at 'fridge temp' and the wort is at 'lager fermentation temp' (sometimes a good 12*-15* warmer than fridge temp) you can pitch it right in, you don't have to warm it up. You don't want to pitch warm yeast into cold wort but cold yeast into cool wort is fine and good.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply