Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wlp810 high attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
MattGuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default wlp810 high attenuation

Hi all

I recently brewed a lager 2 weeks ago using 810.
this was an all grain 5 gallon batch.
og was 1.048 and according to the program I use, the expected fg would be 1.017 based on 68% attenuation.
I read that a maximum of 72% was for this strain.
Ferm temps fluctuated between 55f and 57f over the two week with the exception of 2 day d-Rest.
anyhow l, took hydro reading today and have a reading of 1.008, by my calculation that 83% attenuation.
Is this right and has anybody else experienced this from this strain?

cheers guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Was this a all grain or extract batch? If its a all grain at what temp did you mash at? And am sure there's no problem with the yeast I've had wlp810 attenuate to 80% before. How does it taste?

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
MattGuk
Recipes 

Im not sure yet im going to bottle shortly. It was all grain mashed at 148f for 2 hours.
Im really suprise I got that much attenuation.
im tasted half as good as it smells then I will be very happy

Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

You mashed at 148 for 2 hours and are wondering why you saw very high attenuation? Next time try a 60 minute mash at 152.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
MattGuk
Recipes 

Dont get me wrong, im not unhappy with it, just wondering if the mash schedule really make a huge difference in attenuation of a yeast that says its 72% max.
when they specify those figures, are they assuming that the mash is of a higher temp?
I was looking to make a nice, Easy drinking lager but the only reason I went for this yeast is because of temps as it can be a bit hit and miss here this time of year.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuk View Post
Dont get me wrong, im not unhappy with it, just wondering if the mash schedule really make a huge difference in attenuation of a yeast that says its 72% max.
when they specify those figures, are they assuming that the mash is of a higher temp?
I was looking to make a nice, Easy drinking lager but the only reason I went for this yeast is because of temps as it can be a bit hit and miss here this time of year.
Yes, because you gave it mostly fermentable sugars, hardly any dextrins. 148 is LOW as it is. I overnight mash, so I hit some low temps later in the night, a few hours after the mash has started, and I have gotten as high as 95% attenuation in a Pale Ale that also had 19% Crystal 40 in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Software typically grossly overestimates the final gravity. I usually get better attenuation than the published range out of my yeast. It's also relative to original gravity.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Software typically grossly overestimates the final gravity. I usually get better attenuation than the published range out of my yeast. It's also relative to original gravity.
+1 This is absolutely true. As the software doesn't compensate for mash temp or the amount of yeast that you are pitching. Most of the time my f.g. is lower than what my software said it would be. Beside i feel 1.008 is a perfect f.g. for a lager!!

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Really, to me, there's below 1.010, and then there's above. Below is going to taste dry, mostly, and is perfect for pales, IPAs, light lagers/pilsners, etc. The above would be great for malty lagers, porters, stouts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Really, to me, there's below 1.010, and then there's above. Below is going to taste dry, mostly, and is perfect for pales, IPAs, light lagers/pilsners, etc. The above would be great for malty lagers, porters, stouts, etc.
Well that's true I kind of figured that OP brewed a light type lager. What am basing that on i have no idea lol. Since it wasn't in mentioned in the OP. But yeah for a malty lager i like them to finish around 1.012!! I think for something like a helles 1.008 would great.

Quick Reply