HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP800 lager at 1.030 after 4 weeks?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

The only other thing is whether your starter was at 44F like the wort when you pitched? If it was at room temp and you pitched into 44F, it may be possible that the rapid change killed or weakened a lot of your yeast? Just a thought.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf
The only other thing is whether your starter was at 44F like the wort when you pitched? If it was at room temp and you pitched into 44F, it may be possible that the rapid change killed or weakened a lot of your yeast? Just a thought.
One more question to add here. How big was your starter? I have a vested interest in this one. I am making a 1.047 German pils this weekend and haven't made a lager in years. My plan is 2 packs in a 1.5l starter. It will get o2 at the start then go on a stir plate Thursday night. Brew day is Sunday. I plan to pull the starter off the plate Saturday night and put it in my ferm chamber at 50f to acclimate and drop the yeast.

Sunday is supposed to be cool so I should be able to chill into the upper 50s. Then the wort will go into the chamber to keep cooling while I clean up and store my gear. Will pitch as my last item and shoot for 52-52 for my primary ferment.

I listened to the German pils show from the brewing network earlier this week. John Plise did a similar pitch around 55-57 and cooled to 48 within 12 hrs. Apparently took 3rd place in nationals. I am using a similar grain bill to his.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #13
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Great thought, and yes; my yeast was pitched at 44.

"He was a wise man who invented beer..."
-Plato

Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
One more question to add here. How big was your starter? I have a vested interest in this one. I am making a 1.047 German pils this weekend and haven't made a lager in years. My plan is 2 packs in a 1.5l starter. It will get o2 at the start then go on a stir plate Thursday night. Brew day is Sunday. I plan to pull the starter off the plate Saturday night and put it in my ferm chamber at 50f to acclimate and drop the yeast.

Sunday is supposed to be cool so I should be able to chill into the upper 50s. Then the wort will go into the chamber to keep cooling while I clean up and store my gear. Will pitch as my last item and shoot for 52-52 for my primary ferment.

I listened to the German pils show from the brewing network earlier this week. John Plise did a similar pitch around 55-57 and cooled to 48 within 12 hrs. Apparently took 3rd place in nationals. I am using a similar grain bill to his.
I am a fan of MONSTER starters for Lagers. I created my starter from 2 vials of yeast, and built it up over the course of a week to about 7 liters. (Stir plate and 5 liter Erlenmeyer flasks!) (BTW, I brew 12 gallon batches.)

-Plato

Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 107

At that size, why not just pitch 1 vial into a 2 gallon small batch of drinkable starter? I wouldn't think that would be underpitching if it were a small enough beer, but maybe I'm wrong.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
Fermenting: E Fitzgerald Porter, American Special Bitter, Light Lager (sorta between Helles and Vienna), Summer Session Saison
On Deck: White IPA, Tripel?, Pils? Hefe? Hoppy Brown?

Youtube Channel on Homebrewing ::: Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

*Update: Okay, so I'm back from a business trip to Colorado, and I decided to check the gravity of my pilsner. (It'll be 5 weeks on the yeast tomorrow.) So... yes; it's down... to 1.028... a whole .002. WTF? It's fermenting, but so slowly that the molasses in my cupboard is saying, "Dude! Hurry up!" Know what I'm sayin'? Anyhow; the flavor is awesome (saaz, malt, crisp, dry) but it is sloooooowwww.... thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Good thing I have an awesome ESB, Jamil's Evil Twin, Porter, centennial blonde, and a Saison on.... So I decided to rouse the **** out of it, and see what happens (yes; I know I run the risk of adding O2... but at this point, I say "Pshaw.")

-Plato

Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If it reading that high, yet tastes dry, I would call your hydrometer into question.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
If it reading that high, yet tastes dry, I would call your hydrometer into question.
That's a good idea. I'll check it out. There is still a bit of residual sweetness I'm picking up on the sample, but damn, it's got that nice malty-saazy thing going on. I hope it turns out!

-Plato

Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quick update: So it's 5 days later; I brewed this about 6 weeks ago, and split the batch between to carboys (about 5.5 gallons each) I've been sampling the beer from "Carboy #1" which today is at... 1.028. (Really??) I decided to check "Carboy #2" for the first time, which is down to 1.020. (Better, but not great.) Maybe I'll see if I can get them down a few more points and blend my 2 carboys into kegs, settle in around 1.022, and call it a Maibock?

-Plato

Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How's this beer doing? I decided to go ahead and brew my split batch of German pils last Sunday. 5 gallons in each fermenter. 1.054 (overshot on my boil and ended up a few points high). 85% pils; 10% munich and 5% carapils. Tettnanger to about 25 IBU.

One carboy got WLP800 (2 vials in 1.6L starter, grown with O2 on a stirplate). The other got 2 rehydrated packs of Saflager 34/70. The dried yeast ran warmer than the 800 all week. I pitched at 56F and got them both to 52F in 12 hrs. Both started fermenting in less than 12 hrs. The 800 ran between 50-52 all week until friday when I kicked my fridge to 54F since it was slowing down. The 34/70 has been at 52-54F all week. When I bumped the temp up to 54 to warm the 800, the 34/70 stayed at 54F.

Checked gravity today (within a few hours of being exactly one week out from pitch). I was not quite expecting what I got. The WLP 800 already looked like it was clearing. The 34/70 was still murky.

The WLP800 is sitting at 1.029 while the 34/70 is still cloudy and reading 1.016. I'm expecting around a 1.013 finish for these.

The 800 still tastes and smells a little on the sweet side (for obvious reasons). There's also a hint of diacetyl.

The 34/70 is already crisping up a bit. I don't get any diacetyl on the nose.

Figuring I will leave them both at 54F for another week and begin the ramp up for diacetyl rest next weekend. While I get no diacetyl on the 34/70, I see no harm in the temperature raise.

Wondering if I need to take the 800 to room temp or leave it a few more days. It stayed pretty close to 50-52, whereas the 34/70 ran about 54 the whole week. I am wondering if the 800 is just running a degree or 2 behind the other because of the temp.

It is my first experience with this yeast but my results seem similar to yours, though I am just a week in at this point. I wonder if the 800 is just slower to move?

Quick Reply