The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP565 Belgian Saison Yeast in a Black Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

It will likely stall around 1.035, maybe higher with your high OG. Don't worry, just let it do it's thing. You can put it in a warm area, that will help, but may not completely dodge the stall. This yeast almost always stalls/slows at some point. Don't worry, give it time and it will slowly get down. I don't k is how low it will go, though since you had a mighty high OG.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks, Barrooze. Is it worth pitching another vial (or starter) if/when it stalls, or should I just ignore the fermenter for the next month? I thought perhaps adding a 1 L starter might help dilute the gravity down a bit even. This was a partial mash batch, tso I can even use the same DME as a base.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchborne
Thanks, Barrooze. Is it worth pitching another vial (or starter) if/when it stalls, or should I just ignore the fermenter for the next month? I thought perhaps adding a 1 L starter might help dilute the gravity down a bit even. This was a partial mash batch, tso I can even use the same DME as a base.
You don't want to pour funky spent starter beer in your delicious saison!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
barrooze
Recipes 

Just let the beer ferment. If the fermentation rate slows, go ahead and apply heat if u want. Heat can help it continue, but if you just let it go and accept the slower ferm rate as normal, it should complete just fine.

WLP565 is supposed to be the same strain (or at least very similar to Wyeast 3724). Here's a tread that has a lot of comments regarding the use of this strain. Most say to either leave t or apply heat. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wye...-right-131071/

Good luck and enjoy your beer! Sounds tasty!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05

Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks! I hope this turms put well -- it's an experimental recipe. I used hnoey malt, white wheat and a little carapils in the partial mash, added dme to bulk it up, and 16 oz of clear canid sugar I had laying around. The hops are Cascade and Citra, and I plan to whack it with a 2 oz Citra dryhop after a while. With this one, it might be a longer than usual wait before the dry hop, at the rate fermentation will probably go.

What can I say, SWMBO likes the honey malt/citra combination, although this is the first time I've tried it in a saison.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchborne View Post
I just went ahead and pitched two vials of WLP Saison II (566) in there (5 gal).
I just re-read your initial post. I believe WLP566 is supposed to have less of a fermentation stall than WLP565, so you shouldn't have as many issues along those lines. I would be concerned with a high FG. 1.113??? What was your recipe? Only using 1# simple sugars won't help you FG that much... I know these saison strains can get a beer very dry, but I haven't heard of many Super Imperial Saisons getting dry using just beer yeast. If you get a FG in the 20s, you may want to consider pitching some brett and letting it help you lower the FG over a few months. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #27
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Funny, I didn't even notice this thread was about the black saison..

Well, I think I'm past the danger of stuck fermentation. I brewed on Saturday, and now it's down to 1.010 from 1.075 and still chugging. Of course it has been fermenting at 100 degrees Fahrenheit for the last 2 days crazy stuff. The hydrometer taste was very encouraging - no hot alcohol whatsoever, a little banana but not much, just delicious saison flavor.

Quick Reply