Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP565 Belgian Saison Yeast in a Black Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
BigRob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have also made a tremendous amount of saisons, and I've fermented exactly 1 at 90+, and it tasted delicious, using 3724 of course. However, I've achieved the same flavours from 3724 in the high 70s, low 80s. I pitch at 68-70 and let the yeast go with no temp control, my apartment is fairly hot during the summer, 85F+. I tend to let my saisons sit for 3-4 weeks in primary, though I've let some go for 2 months, I figure I'm usually making 7-8% ABV beers and they can use that time to mellow.

I am really a huge fan of using 3724 and adding 3711 a few days into the process so that the majority of the flavour is 3724 and the 3711 brings the attenuation to the party.

I've actually been making a lot of strange hybrids, stout and porter style saisons, with great success, at least to my palate. I find the roastiness and such really works well with the funky saison flavours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Update:

I brewed this beer yesterday and everything went exceptional. I decided to use the washed 3711. I made a 1/2 liter starter and then 24 hours later stepped it up by 1 liter. I pitched last night around 75*. I am using a ranco digital controller, themowell and thermwrap to keep the temp around 80*.

Almost 24 hours after pitching I am seeing no signs of fermentation.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I am using this yeast for the first time in a rosemary/black pepper Saison I brewed today. I have pitched it at 68 degrees, and I am just going to let it go. We have 100 degrees for the next week at least so I figure it will continually ramp up over the primary till it hits 90 or so. I am a little leery of fermenting it so high above what Whitelabs recommends but if you guys say so I believe you.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Do it! Use alot of simple sugars too! Dry that beer the hell out! This is the goal of a saison, utherwise, its just a plain old tripple

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
bottlebomber
Recipes 

I refrained from adding sugars during the boil... I figured I would add sugar about 5 days in to give it an extra push. Also I am paranoid about fusels so I don't want the primary going too bonkers. I don't know specifically that this would produce fusel alcohol but with a dang hot fermentation I don't want to play around with that.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Emjay, what did you think of this?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would have added the sugar to the boil. Higher OG encourages ester production.

I wouldn't be too concerned about fusels as they are largely converted to esters as well. My understanding is that saison strains tend to be particularly adept at this, and my experience is that (with a bit of time, anyways... can't necessarily say the same for a green saison) fusels have been unnoticeable in every saison I've made, whether it's been a result of low production or high conversion.

And what I know for sure is that the first time around, it's best to just go for it. You can always make corrections on batch #2, but... No risk, no reward, right?

Edit: Notice in my previous post how, despite numerous strategies for increasing esters, I actually recommend HEAVY oxygenation? Conventional wisdom would actually suggest that this LOWERS esters and raises fusels in a typical beer. But I find that this results in a better ester profile, which I believe is due to TWO mechanisms: the previously mentioned conversion of fusels, AND that the higher oxygenation supports the larger growth phase of the underpitched yeast.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Nothing ventured nothing gained... I can add the sugar tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
bottlebomber
Recipes 

This yeast is definitely a fast starter. It was showing activity within 2 hours last night, and today it is really going nuts. I'd like to experiment with open fermentation with this strain sometime.

image-162745447.jpg   image-2228392572.jpg  

Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
Marchborne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
I would have added the sugar to the boil. Higher OG encourages ester production.
Damn, I hope you are right. I had a variety of brew-day mishaps yesterday, and my OG which was targeted at 1.091 (already big) wound up at 1.113!

One of the brewday foulups was I did not have time to make a starter, so I just went ahead and pitched two vials of WLP Saison II (566) in there (5 gal). Basement temps are 77, and it's chugging along, lots of krausen.

I am worried this will get stuck. I thought about moving the carboy from the basement to the garage to get higher temps. Any suggestions?

Muchas dankes.

Quick Reply