Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP299 Persica

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I really like the 299. I personally think that in an ale with little to no crystal malt (i used it in Jamils APA recipe, and again in that recipe with a half pound of c40) it really is nice. It adds maybe just a little something extra. Then again if this is attempting to be a single variable experiment maybe go with the 001 so you know the flavors you are getting in the glass are due to the hops and not yeast derived.

Maybe if you've got the ability, due a split batch, half with 001 and the other half with 299.

Keg #1 - Tafelbier, table brett saison
Keg #2 - german style brown ale
Keg #3 - American sour
On Deck- IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Kuckoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I decided to go with the 299. Coincedentally, I also used half a pound of c40 in my recipe. I harvested 299 from a batch I made back in May that had astringency issues, so I couldn't make a fair assessment of it then. The yeast looked and smelled good, so I pitched it to a last minute starter. The carboy fermentation was sluggish to start, but as of this morning seems to be chugging along pretty good.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I used ff a few times it had a subtle peach/apricot note so if that's what you ant the two might compliment each other.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
discokid2k
Recipes 

I just brewed with it last night and I was a llittle shocked at how mild the yeast behaves. For starters, it didnt really seem to get wild and aggressive like other strains while in the first starter. Didnt really have an overt, yeasty smell either-mild is the best description for now. I made two starters, the first only 1/2 qt and it started relatively quickly. The second was a 1/2 gal and again, no aggressive scents, or fermentation issues. I picthed into my batch at about 72* and within 6 hours it is going steady. This is my first rodeo with wlp299. Overall so far, a very subdued and steady fermentation. Hopefully in March I can have tasting notes! Looking to see the fruity tones I am reading about.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Kuckoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So my WLP299 APA is complete, but I'm afraid I still cannot give a real fair assessment. I'm 0-2 when using this yeast. Because I made the last minute decision to use the yeast, I did not get an adequate starter made and I pitched a decanted mason jar of 6 month old cleaned yeast. The fermentation was sluggish to start so initially I got a lot of diacetyl in the final product. It has mellowed out significantly and is almost gone now.

I fermented at a target temp of 70* and it got as high as 72* well within its range (68*-78*). The beer is really good as it matured. The yeast does produce a peach like flavor; however, it is too dominant for my taste and I kept the temp on the lower end. The peach/fruity flavors should be even more dominant as it approaches the top end of the range. It attenuated well; my OG was 1.060 and FG 1.008. For me it feels like it is taking away from the hop profile. Personally, I will stick with WLP001 for my APA/IPAs.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
discokid2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
So my WLP299 APA is complete, but I'm afraid I still cannot give a real fair assessment. I'm 0-2 when using this yeast. Because I made the last minute decision to use the yeast, I did not get an adequate starter made and I pitched a decanted mason jar of 6 month old cleaned yeast. The fermentation was sluggish to start so initially I got a lot of diacetyl in the final product. It has mellowed out significantly and is almost gone now.

I fermented at a target temp of 70* and it got as high as 72* well within its range (68*-78*). The beer is really good as it matured. The yeast does produce a peach like flavor; however, it is too dominant for my taste and I kept the temp on the lower end. The peach/fruity flavors should be even more dominant as it approaches the top end of the range. It attenuated well; my OG was 1.060 and FG 1.008. For me it feels like it is taking away from the hop profile. Personally, I will stick with WLP001 for my APA/IPAs.
Mine is doing great so far. Obviously no tasting yet but where did you get your temp range? The AHS website gives it a range of 68-78? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41018144,d.b2U

I am keeping it at right about 70 for now. Pretty easy when it is 32 outside. I am hoping for the fruity flavors with my hops but I hope they are not overpowering. Just a hint or three

Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Kuckoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I got the 68-78 range from the AHS site as well. I couldn't find anything on white labs. I left mine at 70 as well, it spiked to 72 at peak activity but generally kept at 69-70. You should still get plenty of the fruity flavors at that temp. Its a fine yeast, I just prefer the WLP001. I still may give it another shot down the road.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
discokid2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
I got the 68-78 range from the AHS site as well. I couldn't find anything on white labs. I left mine at 70 as well, it spiked to 72 at peak activity but generally kept at 69-70. You should still get plenty of the fruity flavors at that temp. Its a fine yeast, I just prefer the WLP001. I still may give it another shot down the road.
I didn't read your previous post thoroughly...I thought that you said 72 was the max...my bad. It seems to be a pretty thorough yeast. My activity slowed a lot after three days. I did make a huge starter too....I am excited to see the results. New hops, new yeast, something different

Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
coryforsenate
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed a Magic Hat clone with apricots instead of the artificial flavoring using the Persica yeast. It attenuated down to 1.000 with no off flavors, just a crispness with some fruit esters and a slight note of specifically apricot (0.5lb apricots). I used a refractometer initially and was surprised with the reading, so I double checked with my hydrometer. Overmashing is my fault with regard to the extreme attenuation. I like the yeast. I think it lends really well to the America Pale/Amber/Brown styles.

This yeast also flocculates really well. A month after brewing my carboy was clear enough to read through it (no lagering, cold crash, or fining)

Hefeweizen
Hard Cider
Tripel w/wine tannins
Weizenbock

Primary
Dark Strong
Tripel

Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
discokid2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryforsenate View Post
I brewed a Magic Hat clone with apricots instead of the artificial flavoring using the Persica yeast. It attenuated down to 1.000 with no off flavors, just a crispness with some fruit esters and a slight note of specifically apricot (0.5lb apricots). I used a refractometer initially and was surprised with the reading, so I double checked with my hydrometer. Overmashing is my fault with regard to the extreme attenuation. I like the yeast. I think it lends really well to the America Pale/Amber/Brown styles.

This yeast also flocculates really well. A month after brewing my carboy was clear enough to read through it (no lagering, cold crash, or fining)
Nice! I still have mine in the ferm so I havent tried it yet. I don't think I will bottle for at least three more weeks. I am pretty excited about this one and I plan to use the yeast in a rye ale shortly after. I have the wlp001 on hand as well but I like new things. Plus everyone has mentioned great things about wlp299. The more people comment, the more excited I get

Quick Reply