Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP099 - whats a good beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Hauntedyards
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default WLP099 - whats a good beer?

My friend gave me a vile of WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast the other day and I have no idea what beer to attempt with it...

I also have a bunch of extra light DME laying around some Hallertau and Saaz packs.

Any thoughts on what kind of high test beer could be done with this?

Primary #1 - Caribou Slobber
Primary #2 - Dead Ringer
Primary #3 - Surly Furious
Conical - Ice Wine (5 gallons)
Mini Kegged - Chech Pilsner
Keg #1 - EMPTY
Keg #2 - EMPTY
Keg #3 - EMPTY
Keg #4 - EMPTY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I brewed a barleywine, and used S-04 on it. The S-04 didn't take it down as far as I thought it could go, so I made a five gallon "starter" IPA with 099, and used the cake to take that barleywine down some more. It performed admirably, but the IPA was extraordinarily dry (finished at 1.002 IIRC) and the yeast imparted a "farty" sort of flavor/aroma to the IPA. The quality was present in the barleywine as well, but MUCH more subdued and inoffensive. It has also been dissipating over time - my last sample was at the 1yr mark, and the "farty" character is basically gone.

For my $.02, I wouldn't use it on anything that isn't very high gravity and in need of this mega-yeast.. For me, letting it age out was very important. Wouldn't use it again otherwise. I do intend to use it on my next barleywine, but will not be making a five gallon starter for it, as I won't want to drink it!

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Hauntedyards
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I'm just looking for an experiment with this. I thought about a variation on the DEMA-GODDESS ALE from Sam's Extreme Brewing Book.

Here is another tweak on that...
http://http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68610

I'm only making a 5 gallon batch... so I won't need a 5 gallon starter either... lol

Primary #1 - Caribou Slobber
Primary #2 - Dead Ringer
Primary #3 - Surly Furious
Conical - Ice Wine (5 gallons)
Mini Kegged - Chech Pilsner
Keg #1 - EMPTY
Keg #2 - EMPTY
Keg #3 - EMPTY
Keg #4 - EMPTY

Quick Reply