Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #71
SDBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
You need to strain your wort better or start using fine mesh bags for the hops. I just did a RIS coming in at 1.115 with this yeast. 11 gallons in a 13 gallon fermenter and the Krausen isn't anywhere near the airlock. The only time I've had blow off issues is when I poured a bunch of hop matter and breakage into the fermenter.
I use a hop bag and toss all the hops in there. There is virtually no hop matter by the time the wort is cooled and transferred to the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #72
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
You need to strain your wort better or start using fine mesh bags for the hops. I just did a RIS coming in at 1.115 with this yeast. 11 gallons in a 13 gallon fermenter and the Krausen isn't anywhere near the airlock. The only time I've had blow off issues is when I poured a bunch of hop matter and breakage into the fermenter.
I think protein has a hand in more blowoffs than hop material. Wheat beers are notorious for their blowoffs.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #73
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBrewer View Post
I use a hop bag and toss all the hops in there. There is virtually no hop matter by the time the wort is cooled and transferred to the fermenter.
I think most brewers keep the hops out of the fermentor, by and large.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #74
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
I've had 5 gallons of apfelwein bubble up into the airlock on a 7.9 gallon bucket, sometimes **** just happens.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #75
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
I've had 5 gallons of apfelwein bubble up into the airlock on a 7.9 gallon bucket, sometimes **** just happens.
That's some sh!t... crazy.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #76
G2Brew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Sdsy

San Diego Super Yeast update:

My American Amber Ale brewed fast, attenuated really well, and tastes fantastic, even though it's less than two weeks old! I have it aging in a keg, so I've sneaked a couple of samples. Very nice. The SDSY is very neutral. I won't use it again for a flavorful American ale, because it's a little TOO clean.

But that gave me an idea: I was moving in July, and wasn't able to start brewing again until late August -- too late for an Octoberfest. But the SDSY was so fast and clean...last night I brewed my "OctoberJest," using all of the ingredients I'd purchased for the Marzen/Octoberfest I didn't get to brew. I'm fermenting it on the cool end of SDSY's recommended range, then I'll raise the temp about five degrees when it appears to be done with primary, just like I would a lager. After a few days there, I'll crash the temp, keg, and let it "lager" for a couple of weeks. Then, if it's not as clear as I'd like, I'll put it through the polisher (I avoid filtering except when I want something REALLY clear.) It won't be a true Octoberfest, of course, but it should be a reasonable facsimile, suitable for drinking while singing some German Beer Hall songs. But I should have a pretty drinkable beer in plenty of time for the festivities.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #77
Mike_A
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@bigbeergeek:
Yep, I was fully aware of the negative side effects that would ensue by rushing a beer through fermentation by all means possible. I agree it would be wise to give the yeast time to clean up, but I was more concerned with getting them to flocc out rather than clean up the byproducts - I'll deal with esters flavors better than yeast flavors. My pipeline was dry and I am pretty broke so I actually took what I had on hand and whipped up a batch as quick as I could, to keep the kegs full while I devised and executed the next brew.

@bwarbiany:
I'd heard about that side-effect, but I wanted to shake it enough so that I could hook it up inside the fridge @ 20psi (my normal kegging pressure @ 40*F) and still have it ready in a day. So instead of shaking for an hour, I just gave it a few minutes of shaking and that turned out fine. I was aiming for a high amount of carbonation too, anything I could do to mask the green beer & yeasty flavors.

But all that worked! Day 4 it was not particularly ready, but by day 5 it was drinkable and day 6 it was verrrry drinkable. It's now 13 days old and tastes pretty good! Came out similar to a Goose Island 312 but with more hop character, citrusy and floral just like I wanted. Clarity is very good for such a young beer, no fruity or harsh esters, no phenolic or fusel alcohol tastes.

All in all, I'd give this yeast an A. I will be keeping it in my yeast bank, as this may be a priiiime candidate to use on a DFH 120MIPA clone that I've got planned in the future. Follow this up with the WLP099 and I think I'll have a good fun time trying to make a 15%+ beer!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #78
wadefisher
Brew Meister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I used San Diego for the first time. Made a Blonde Ale OG 1.046. Fermentation room set at 64* which gives an internal of about 68*F It took less than 6 days for the bubbler on my Conical to all but quit. My first taste from pulling a sample and it was very pleasant, but I'm letting it sit till day 11 then Kegging and plan on serving by about day 17. I took a reading and it was basically done, but I didn't write it down, bad on my part, I think it was 1.010. Will take another when I keg it.

Day 8 went to pull yeast and it was so thick it almost wouldn't come out of the Blichman 14 gallon conical. So apparently it is settling out good.

Pitched said yeast into next batch. Second batch, basically same Blonde Ale with few modifications, OG 1.044 seems to have an even more aggressive fermentation. My pitch was maybe a little over spec. 8fl oz of good thick yeast for 12 gallons. I pitched at 5 PM came back next morning at 7 AM and it was rolling bubbles out of lock very very rapidly.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Last edited by wadefisher; 10-01-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edit

Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #79
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Update on the Centennial blonde ale(OG 1.040)fermented with super yeast:

Starting to mellow out nicely after almost 4 weeks in the bottle. It was carbonated after only about a week in the bottle, but it was still kind of harsh tasting for a couple more weeks. So this stuff does work fast, but it takes a bit longer to condition properly and taste right. The wheat wine I pitched onto the cake is ready to bottle now. The gravity is staying put at about 1.019-1.020, same as it was after only 4 days of fermentation. Pretty impressive that this yeast brought it down to that from an OG of 1.090 so quickly. The only reason it's not bottled yet is I've been dry hopping it. Overall I'd say this is a pretty good yeast. Pretty neutral, not much different than Cal ale that I can tell. It ferments fast, but with the extended conditioning time needed it kind of evens out. The real benefit is in only having to maintain fermentation temps for a few days as opposed to a week or two. I bought another vial and plan on doing the same type of thing again: A light, low gravity ale and then a high gravity monster pitched onto the cake.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #80
wadefisher
Brew Meister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefisher View Post
I used San Diego for the first time. Made a Blonde Ale OG 1.046. Fermentation room set at 64* which gives an internal of about 68*F It took less than 6 days for the bubbler on my Conical to all but quit. My first taste from pulling a sample and it was very pleasant, but I'm letting it sit till day 11 then Kegging and plan on serving by about day 17. I took a reading and it was basically done, but I didn't write it down, bad on my part, I think it was 1.010. Will take another when I keg it.
Kegged this yesterday. FG 1.008 Put in Carb Fridge. Drank a glass today it is good but needs a little more time to mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefisher View Post
Day 8 went to pull yeast and it was so thick it almost wouldn't come out of the Blichman 14 gallon conical. So apparently it is settling out good.

Pitched said yeast into next batch. Second batch, basically same Blonde Ale with few modifications, OG 1.044 seems to have an even more aggressive fermentation. My pitch was maybe a little over spec. 8fl oz of good thick yeast for 12 gallons. I pitched at 5 PM came back next morning at 7 AM and it was rolling bubbles out of lock very very rapidly.
This batch is 6 days and the bubbler is done. Really won't know how 'fast' this yeast is if like last poster says. It may need more time to mellow, thus not really maturing faster. BUT... If you let yourself run out of homebrew, this will definately put bubbly in the keg FAST!

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Quick Reply