The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #111
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
While I had a good experience with it the time that I used it, I did not find it to be much different from the Chico strain and not on par with PacMan which is what many have compared it to. I feel that it is a good strain but not great.
I'll have to get my hands on this PacMan yeast (Rogue, right?)... never used it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #112
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default PacMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I'll have to get my hands on this PacMan yeast (Rogue, right?)... never used it.
Yep. Wyeast makes it available in limited amounts (special order via the outfit that markets the Rogue Dead Guy kit, Brewers something...)

Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #113
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

Wyeast is the only one that has it. Wyeast 1764. Been meaning to try this but can never find it in stock when I want it.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #114
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
Wyeast is the only one that has it. Wyeast 1764. Been meaning to try this but can never find it in stock when I want it.
Yeah... an my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. It's the only ingredient I won't buy online.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #115
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher

Yeah... an my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. It's the only ingredient I won't buy online.
As long as you make a starter I wouldn't worry this time of year. I think AHS was the only of the big shops I remember carrying it.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #116
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am doing my Bourbon County Stout with this strain. OG of 1.129, split a 2L starter between two 3+ gallon batches.

The first batch was made on Monday night and is just about done fermenting as of saturday. The second was made on Tuesday night and looks like it will be done on Sunday. 5 days at around 68°F.

No FG readings yet, but it looks like a good fermentation to me. Anything below 1.040FG will be considered a success.

One thing I noticed is that the cold crashed starter for Monday's batch took about 24 hours to get going (I use pure O2 when I pitch). However for the second batch, which I pitched at high krausen ( by adding a little more wort about 12 hrs before pitching), I had it bubbling away after about 12 hours.

This yeast floccs so well I am not sure it's the best choice for a cold-crashed starter. Pitching at high krausen looks like it gives better results.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #117
jepp0174
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanx for your input, guys. I might in fact give wlp090 another go like in a year or so if it's still available.
btw: When you mention the Chico strain, do you mean Wyeast 1056? That's pretty good. I used it a lot - but I do tend to stick with US-05 (dry) which is one third of the price.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #118
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp0174
Thanx for your input, guys. I might in fact give wlp090 another go like in a year or so if it's still available.
btw: When you mention the Chico strain, do you mean Wyeast 1056? That's pretty good. I used it a lot - but I do tend to stick with US-05 (dry) which is one third of the price.
Chico strain = WLP001, Wyeast 1056, and Safale US-05

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #119
DonLiguori
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry for the re-post on this, I figured this thread was more appropriate for the question:

Does anyone have any idea how high of an OG this yeast is capable of? I put together a recipe for an IIPA and frankly, the results are terrifying. I planned on making a decent starter, but am definitely going to have to get an O2 tank and now it seems like I may also have to coax the yeast by doing multiple wort additions throughout the fermentation. By calculations (which of course are probably slightly flawed), the recipe I have is going to land the OG in the area of 1.174. The highest I've ever gone is 1.08, so this is completely new territory for me.

So I guess my questions are, can this yeast handle this level of ethanol? With a high-attenuating strain like this, I'd anticipate an ABV of 17-18%. I'm afraid I may have to go to the WLP099, and I really was looking for the profile that 90 offers. If it can handle this brew, am I forced into a position to do multiple fermentation wort additions, or can I skate away with a healthy starter directly into this high of a gravity?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #120
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

That's a IIIPA, not a IIPA!

Even if you get 80% attenuation you'll still have a sweet SG of 1.030. I have no experience with WLP090, but that gravity seems unnecessarily high. Regardless, you'll want to stagger your wort additions and most definately work simple sugars into a significant percentage of the recipe. Forget starters, think yeastcake. Pure O2. Nutrients. Good luck, you psychopath.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply