Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #101
Alphonso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by apratsunrthd View Post
I used this yeast in a 1.066 OG IPA. I fermented at exactly 65degF. Fermentation was complete in 4 days. FG was 1.015 (just a little higher than I'd hoped). I'm getting some light pear esters and flocculation is poor. I'll definitely be trying this yeast again but I'll probably go down to 62degF to see if I can get those esters out while maintaining the fast fermentation time.
One question; did you use a starter for that IPA? Because if not, I feel like that may be the source of some of those esters. I think this may be the case because of Montannaandy's comment about possibly underpitching and getting more esters than from pacman. Personally, I've found this yeast to produce less esters than pacman. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Also, I would recommend not dropping the fermentation temp to 62. I've found that fermentation temp control is pretty key to this yeast. Once I started holding at 65 (beer temp) for the duration of fermentation, it really fell into line; clean, fast, and dropped clear. I've noticed that deviations from the 'sweet spot' can cause the fermentation to take longer (yes, I believe that in this case warmer = slower) and not floc out as well. I've found it to still be pretty clean, if maybe a bit more estery at higher temps.

I really like this strain - I've found it to be extremely clean, better tasting than chico in smaller beers (I think chico has a 'funny' taste in low abv beer), and I feel that it accentuates malt characteristics slightly better than chico (anyone else?). Combined with the better flocculation and faster turnaround that's why this one is my new go-to clean yeast. Good stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #102
Alphonso
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh, extra note; I think this is a superb yeast that offers great results, BUT is a bit more exacting in terms of it's demand on the brewer. Its not a dump it in and forget about it for 3-4 weeks kind of thing. I think that's where the chico strain excells.

I think for this yeast to give optimal results it is more important to pay attention to pitching rate, fermentation temp control, and 'yeast health' (ie. oxygenation, etc) than with some other strains.

thoughts?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #103
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I brewed a US hopped Red Ale on Sunday and dumped it right onto the WLP090 cake from another batch... it took off within about 5 hours and is still roaring! This is a first for me, as I usually harvest yeast, make starters, and then pitch into the wort. The beer that came off the yeast, a Pale Ale using UK hops, is wonderful- crisp, clean, and well attenuated. It wasn't a very hoppy beer, so I'm interested to see how the San Diego Super Yeast responds to this next brew.

As far as fermentation with this yeast goes, I pitch at about 66F, let it naturally rise to 68F where it stays for 3 to 4 days until the beer is almost fully fermented out, then I drop the temp a couple degrees every day over the next couple days, and finally crash it to 34F where it sits for another week before kegging. This is great yeast to ferment warmer (I use a lot of WLP002 and WLP007, which I like to ferment around 65F)!

I've heard speculation that WLP090 is Port Brewing's house strain, so I bought a bottle of their IPA just for comparison this weekend. The beer was clean and tasty with similar characteristics to the beers I made (minus the hop difference). I wouldn't doubt if 090 is Port's yeast.

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #104
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

White Labs says it's not from any brewery but just named SDSY because that's where they are based

Quote:
Is this strain from one of your San Diego clients?

No. We included the name San Diego in the title to honor the hometown of White Labs.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #105
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Its pretty hard to tell apart from wlp001, at least in the finished product. And the strain had to come from somewhere didn't it?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #106
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtejedor View Post
Its pretty hard to tell apart from wlp001, at least in the finished product. And the strain had to come from somewhere didn't it?

If I were to venture a guess, I would say White Labs harvested the yeast that flocc'd the fastest from a batch of WLP001, seeing as the flavor profile is so similar.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #107
jepp0174
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sad to say, since I like many of White lab's products, but wlp090 has definitely not proven itself a good yeast in my experience. It actually turned me down on everything it promised. It has low attenuation, not high, it produces a **** load of diacetyl, so it's not neutral and it ferments slowly not quickly! It might be a suitable yeast for some low gravity beers but as far as its advertised properties go, it definitely let me down. I did two beers with it, one low and one high gravity. Both ended up in stuck fermentation stinking like a diacetyl bomb. I was able to clean them up a bit by adding many packages of Fermentis US-05 to both beers and they turned out ok, eventually. Wasn't easy though.
Have I just been very unlucky with this? Does it matter? That's up to you but I want you to know that I am an experienced brewer, I follow pitching rates, I use good sanitation and I don't have anything against White labs' products all in all.
Yeast tends to mutate along the way which is why you can't reuse your yeast too many times. - So developing yeast can only be based upon letting it mutate. Did white labs this time let the base strain mutate too far? Is it a very unstable strain so that some tubes are good, while some are bad? I don't know. But I'm staying away from wlp090 from now on.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #108
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp0174
Sad to say, since I like many of White lab's products, but wlp090 has definitely not proven itself a good yeast in my experience. It actually turned me down on everything it promised. It has low attenuation, not high, it produces a **** load of diacetyl, so it's not neutral and it ferments slowly not quickly! It might be a suitable yeast for some low gravity beers but as far as its advertised properties go, it definitely let me down. I did two beers with it, one low and one high gravity. Both ended up in stuck fermentation stinking like a diacetyl bomb. I was able to clean them up a bit by adding many packages of Fermentis US-05 to both beers and they turned out ok, eventually. Wasn't easy though.
Have I just been very unlucky with this? Does it matter? That's up to you but I want you to know that I am an experienced brewer, I follow pitching rates, I use good sanitation and I don't have anything against White labs' products all in all.
Yeast tends to mutate along the way which is why you can't reuse your yeast too many times. - So developing yeast can only be based upon letting it mutate. Did white labs this time let the base strain mutate too far? Is it a very unstable strain so that some tubes are good, while some are bad? I don't know. But I'm staying away from wlp090 from now on.
That's too bad. I've heard of a few others who had a difficult time with this strain, you're certainly not alone. In the many times I've used 090 it has attenuated fully (78%+) within 3-5 days, dropped clear quickly, and produced a clean beer. I recently did a split batch using WLP001 vs WLP090, check it out: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/cal...wlp090-353205/

I love 001 characteristics, but it takes forever to go bright. 090 tastes different, but in a good way I think. Cheers!

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|
jepp0174 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #109
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This summer I used the SD Super Yeast on a Stone IPA clone recipe and it turned out spectacular. Mashed at 152 degrees. Fermented right at 65-66 degrees. Great attenuation and cleared in no time. Bitter with a touch of sweetness/maltiness. In order to save it from disappearing from my keg, I bottled the last half of it!

Last week I just used the yeast again on NB's Kiwi Express IPA and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #110
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Sdsy

While I had a good experience with it the time that I used it, I did not find it to be much different from the Chico strain and not on par with PacMan which is what many have compared it to. I feel that it is a good strain but not great.

Quick Reply