Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wlp028

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
barleyhole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wlp028

Anyone familiar with the fermentation behavior of WLP028 (Edinburgh)? I just racked to secondary after about 8 days in primary as airlock activity had really slowed. This yeast has not acted like any I have used before and I cannot say I'm happy with the outcome of the flavor profile it has imparted (especially compared to similar beers brewed with Wyeast Scottish Ale).

I did ferment around 63 F which is minimum they suggest for this strain. It seem like a fairly slow ferment. The smells coming out of the airlock were not the usual pleasantness...almost a sour smell (I did add some nutmeg, ginger and spices to the brew at 5 minutes left in the boil). I even wondered if my brew were contaminated.

Yesterday when I racked, there was still a large amount of krausen on top, but the gravity had dropped from OG of 1.051 to 1.014. I had high mash temps so I figured it's about done, and racked. Lots of yeast in the beer...so this apparently is not a flocculant strain. Tasting out of the hydrometeor was not initially too good...the beer just seemed thinner than it should have been, and the yeast did not impart what I was expecting (typical scottish ale, caramelly rich goodness). Maybe my fermenation was too cold? There is quite the yeast cake in the secondary right now however, so it seems to be settling a bit. I expect and hope the flavors will be much better after sitting another week.

Anyone else want to comment on this yeast?

Make it so!

Primary: S'more
Secondary: Doppelbock, DIPA
Barrel Aging: Flanders Red
Bottled: Ginger Mead, Scottish 80-/
Kegged: Belgian Golden Strong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
barleyhole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ps. i wouldn't say it was really krausen on top...it was really just a thick blanket of yeast...

Make it so!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Your not going to know really untill its conditioned and carbed. Its probably the spices but im shure it will surprise you once its conditioned.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used 028 for an 80- and I fermented it at 60deg. It took about three weeks to get to fg but it made it. Its a fairly clean yeast at that temp with a hint of smokiness. If you still had a lot of yeast in suspension it probably wasn't done.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've used it a number of times at normal ale temperatures. It has performed just fine for me and I love the flavor I get from it with peat smoked malt in a 10% strength english style barley wine.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used it on 3 beers in a row last year, and didn't really like it. All of them took forever to ferment out - up to 3 weeks for a beer 'round 1.065. Then at least another week for things to clear up. All three beers also ended up with a weird red apple-y taste that I didn't like. Fermented low for all; something like 62. I know other people have had really good experiences with the yeast, so my experiences are certainly not universal, but I'm not planning on using it again.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyhole View Post
Anyone familiar with the fermentation behavior of WLP028 (Edinburgh)? . . . . . . . . . (especially compared to similar beers brewed with Wyeast Scottish Ale).

Anyone else want to comment on this yeast?
WLP028 and Wyeast scottish 1728 are the same strains from the McEwans brewery, I'd look at something other than the yeast. What did you do differently? Also, this yeast will flocc nicely given enough time, your brew was still working. I typically leave scottish ales in primary for 3 weeks min.

Thats all i have, brew on my friend

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 418 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

^^^ While they may have the same origins, that doesn't mean they are the same strain now. I know of several knowledgeable, long time homebrewers who have stated that they get distinctly different behavior and results from 1728 and 028. I've never used 028, so I can't really comment other than to relay the statements of others.

That said, OP, have you made this recipe before? After only 8 days at fairly low temps, not only was it probably too early to rack (for the best outcome), but it is definitely too early to get a feel for how this will turn out. How do you know it's the yeast that's the problem, rather than the timing or some other part of the equation (grainbill, spices, process)? Scottish breweries typically used low temps and very long fermentations (3 weeks) using yeasts like this. Why not give it time and see how things look (taste?) in a couple weeks? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just asking some honest questions.

Also, the "caramelly rich goodness" of most scottish ales is not generally yeast driven, to the best of my knowledge. It comes mainly from the grain and the caramelization during the boil. Yes, a slightly lower than average AA (from mash temps and yeast) doesn't hurt this aspect, but it's not the sole cause.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
I used it on 3 beers in a row last year, and didn't really like it. All of them took forever to ferment out - up to 3 weeks for a beer 'round 1.065. Then at least another week for things to clear up. All three beers also ended up with a weird red apple-y taste that I didn't like. Fermented low for all; something like 62.
Wow, that's exactly how my 80/- is too. Funny thing is, it didn't taste like this (red apple) until after about a month in the keg. It also fermented on the cool side, around 60ºF.

My experience is not that it takes an especially long time to ferment out, just that the stuff forms a gooey raft on top and stays there for weeks.

I remember having a much more positive experience with 028 early in my brewing enterprise. Maybe it just needs a higher temp.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
barleyhole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with the comments that I probably racked too early. I've done about 3-4 batches prior using 1728 and it's always been done fermenting after 1 week at the same temperature. One of those was an all grain and the other ones extract.

That said, this was a different recipe. I used lighter caramel malts and no caramelized brown sugar like I usually do...replaced with biscuit and added some nutmug, grated ginger and a touch of clove. So yes I should expect the flavor to be a lot different, but not the behavior of the yeast. Honestly I should reserve judgement until the final product has matured!

I accredited the fact that I only attenuated down to 1.014 or so to higher mash temps, so that is what determined racking, not the fact the yeast had not settled. Next time I'll be more patient.

That said, I checked the secondary a day after racking and there is a massive yeast cake on the bottom and the beer has darkened a bit from clearing out.

Make it so!

Quick Reply