Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP 630 Limited Release Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
jamest22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default WLP 630 Limited Release Berliner Weisse

I just ordered a vial of this to use in a batch of Berliner Weisse. It says its a blend of Saccaromyces and Lactobacillus. It'll be the first beer I have brewed with bugs. Anyone else used it and have any feedback, or have any advise for brewing/fermenting Berliner Weisse or with lactobacillus in general.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
jbdujka
Recipes 

i made one using the wyeast blend it was very good, i had to let it sour for about 7 months to get it where i wanted it

Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i'm doing a parti-gyle today and making a Berliner Weisse with the second runnings and pitching WLP 630...i'll keep you updated.

cheers

Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
i'm doing a parti-gyle today and making a Berliner Weisse with the second runnings and pitching WLP 630...i'll keep you updated.
Cool. Thanks. I plan to brew my WLP630 Berliner Weisse in the next week or two. I'll try to remember to post an update or two on this thread as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hit the numbers yesterday for the parti-gyle brew.

6 gallons of Hefeweizen: 1.052 OG
6 gallons of Berliner Weisse: 1.032 OG

I pitched the WLP630 in the Berliner Weisse wort at 85F (higher than I've ever pitched but based upon my research, went with it) and oxygenated for 30 seconds. Its currently at 72F ambient and airlock activity began after 10 hours (which seemed quick based upon my WLP630 research).

Will be awhile until I can provide tasting notes...hoping it will be worth the wait!

Best of luck jamest22 on the upcoming batch.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdrew

I pitched the WLP630 in the Berliner Weisse wort at 85F (higher than I've ever pitched but based upon my research, went with it) and oxygenated for 30 seconds. Its currently at 72F ambient and airlock activity began after 10 hours (which seemed quick based upon my WLP630 research).

Will be awhile until I can provide tasting notes...hoping it will be worth the wait!

The Hefe-Berliner parti-gyle is a great idea. Im gonna think about doing that myself. I did not realize that warm pitching was beneficial when using lacto. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
johngie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdrew View Post

I just did something similar yesterday but instead of a hefe I pitched WLP655 sour mix in the stronger wort and the 630 in the weaker.
Really looking forward to these beers!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngie View Post
I just did something similar yesterday but instead of a hefe I pitched WLP655 sour mix in the stronger wort and the 630 in the weaker.
that sounds good! looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

side note: I was reading in "Designing Great Beers" that one of the traditional methods for Berliner Weisse was to do a multi-step decoction without ever going to a full wort boil. Since that seemed way out of my league...and based upon some other research...I decided to go with a 15 minute boil. According to "Designing Great Beers" the lactic acid really shines through with unboiled wort.

Obviously many different ways to get to a great tasting Berliner Weisse so I'm intrigued to hear how it goes for all of us.

Cheers.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngie View Post
that sounds good! looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

side note: I was reading in "Designing Great Beers" that one of the traditional methods for Berliner Weisse was to do a multi-step decoction without ever going to a full wort boil. Since that seemed way out of my league...and based upon some other research...I decided to go with a 15 minute boil. According to "Designing Great Beers" the lactic acid really shines through with unboiled wort.

Obviously many different ways to get to a great tasting Berliner Weisse so I'm intrigued to hear how it goes for all of us.

Cheers.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
johngie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I did a 15 minute boil on the BW too.
Love them sours

Quick Reply