Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP 051 California V

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default WLP 051 California V

Never used it before, but ended up with a vial. I'm guessing I can use in place of 001 Cal Ale? Sounds like it produces similar results, but a bit more body.

I'm looking at brewing Janets Brown Ale...think it'll work for that recipe??

Anyone have experience with 051?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I used it with my Raspberry Wheat. Here is White Labs description http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp051.html
It worked well I think. My OG on the Raspberry Wheat was 1.054 and the FG was 1.013.

Edit: If you read through the testimonials, you will read about a sulfur smell....I had that myself. It did go away.

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
sgraham602

Recipes 

a sulphury off gas isn't uncommon. Did it turn out ok? Have you made the Raspberry Wheat with 001? I'd be interested to hear how it compared.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

I made a series of great beers with it,a very good amber and some good black/brown and regular ipa's. I washed and made a half dozen or so batches with it,all turned out very good. Ill be using that yeast again someday. I think its pretty versatile,havent got too high in the ferm temps to get the fruity esters,so its fairly clean-maybe slightly fruity? I dont know I made pretty hoppy beers with it so...

Im trying wlp060 for the first time which may be a combo of CaliV-( supposivly), cali01, and a lager strain. At least that is what it sounds like it appears to be,they dont really say exactly what 3 strains they use. I just know its a clean specialty strain and am curious about it.

I was inspired by CaliV when I went to a brewery and talked to the brewer and he said they were using this yeast,I did a flight sampler and I really liked almost every one I tried,so I was inspired to try the yeast also the town is Galena and they do use Galena hops and their own Galena grown hops, so I was inspired with that as well, as it turns out I like that hop alot also. After 3 or 4 beers I made with Galena hops. Now Im jonesing for one of those,now Ill have to get one from the basement.
Its a great yeast my conclusion may be that its a little more estery,maybe less attenuative producing a maltier or smoother beer,instead of clean and crisp or dry. I havent even use 01-liquid yeast but many compare it to 05 dry, so Im going with that to compare.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
a sulphury off gas isn't uncommon. Did it turn out ok? Have you made the Raspberry Wheat with 001? I'd be interested to hear how it compared.
Well its still Conditioning in the fridge, but i did try it. Not bad, but still tart. Still has a little over a week left in the fridge. I did give 2 of them to a friend of mine and he said they were awesome. I will try it again closer to Christmas.

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
sgraham602

Recipes 

I'm guessing the sulphur tones faded with some time?

-Nelson Amber
-Dano Nelson Amber

Kegged
-Nelly Citra Sesh

Fermenting
-Dry Stout
-Barliament Funkadelic

On Deck
-Milds Davis

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nice yeast. I've used it for a bunch of APAs, a couple of Ambers and an Imperial Amber.

For me, sometimes WLP001/1056 is a super attentuator and dries the beer out too much, often going over 80% attentuation even with all malt beers. This one leaves a little more body but is by no means producing a sweet beer. It has a bit more character and drops much brighter.

I have it to use for an IPA in a couple of weeks, but haven't used it in the last year and don't remember if it produced sulphur. That said, I've had a few yeasts produce sulphur over the years and none have had it in the finished beer.

It's sourced from Anchor, so you can try their Liberty Ale to see what you think.

Quick Reply