Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP 007 Dry English Ale attenuation problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
Rolly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default WLP 007 Dry English Ale attenuation problem?

I recently brewed a surly furious clone with sg of 1.065 and it only went down to 1.020 sfter two weeks in primary. I made a 900ml starter with one vial using a stirplate. Pitched at 62 and raised over 5 days to 70.

Doesn't 67% attenuation seem kinda low? I mashed at 153 but maybe my thermometer is off? I calibrate it at freezing, but I've heard that calibrating closer to mash temps is better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4660 Times on 3385 Posts
Likes Given: 917

It does seem a bit low- I would expect 70% at least from that yeast. I have to suspect your mash thermometer is off- at least that would be the easy answer!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
hadabar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my experience 007 has always been a winner...

I had this happen to me on an oatmeal stout...about the same og.

I've recently learned since it its sucha beast, it loves oxygen. Did you oxyginate? I also use nutrient and haven't had any problems. This is my go to yeast and I use it in pretty much all my ales, except belgians, and the other yeast specific beers.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm thinking your thermometer was off. WLP007 always ferments well for me, and I ferment it around 62 as well. My money is on mash temp.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry to revive an old thread but have EXACTLY this same situation. SF kit from NB, mash at 153 (automated system - very accurate), 1065 OG and stopped at 1.020/1. Primary 8 days and fermented at 66F. Never had this problem before with this yeast and find it peculiar that someone else had the exact same situation occur. I oxygenated for 60 second with pure oxygen and pitched a 3 liter stirplate starter at high kraussen. The taste of the hydro sample definitely confirms residual sweetness - is this found in the Surly commercial version?

I've taken my stir wand and rousted the yeast at the bottom, as best as one can with WLP007, and it's sitting at 69F. Will see if that gets me another couple points.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
makomachine
Recipes 

Well, rousing the yeast seems to have restarted fermentation - given it's still bubbling this morning and yeast still appear in suspension. Guessing the yeast got lazy given the low end fermentation temp of 65. Will report back with a gravity reading this weekend.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
makomachine
Recipes 

Hydro says 1019 for the last couple days and all signs of fermentation are gone. Beer still has a little more residual sweetness than I would have expected and not sure if that's on par with the commercial version or if my process has fallen short somewhere. Any Surly commercial drinkers have some input on the sweetness of the original? It's got come crystal in it so maybe I'm just going in with the wrong expectations of a yet to be dry hopped IPA.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2129 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1571

Too much crystal maybe,or other unfermentables? I'm curious about English yeast's performance,as I'm going to start a Burton ale this weekend. I was thinkig of using a high ABV tolerant English yeast. But the flocculation rates aren't that good from what I've seen so far. And attenuation seems to be lacking as well.
I'm going to be using 2 cans of LME,& 3lbs of plain light DME with 6oz of English hops,1tsp Burton salts if the LHBS has it. I'm trying to think of what ABV I'd get,as I don't have any software for formulating. 1 can & 3lbs DME usually gives 5.3-5.9%. So maybe 2 cans & the 3lbs DME would be pushing 7%??

Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
makomachine
Recipes 

This one flocs like crazy. I'm at just above 70%, so it's likely the crystal malt and malt bill but the recipe by design is supposed to ferment to 1016 per NB - bit that's with a different strain that I'm not familiar with unfortunately. I'm going to let it sit a few mire days and sloshes the carboy again.

I like this yeast and never have had this problem before. Don't have access to beer smith as I'm on the road with e iPad but low to mid 70's is what I've experienced with this yeast previously.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With the dry version S04 I usually get 80% attenuation! Not called dry ale for nuttin'

Quick Reply