Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wit Yeast Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
Isn't that crazy? That's why I called out commercial beers, just saying "banana" can be very different person to person.

The ester I am sensitive to is definitely banana, but I find Hoegaarden to be completely lacking it, whereas I find many microbrew Hefes to be exploding with it.
Looking at my notes, it is actually the "bubble gum" ester flavor that put me off of Hoegaarden. Although I also have issues with the over the top banana ester it apparently wasn't noteworthy in Hoegaarden, so I take that back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
3944 is totally new to me. It sounds like from your experience you'd recommend it?
It worked well on the Belgian Blonde, ABV was 6-7%, 5oz of bottle sugar got the bottles ready to explode, this yeast did not want to quit. Next time I will save/wash the cake and do 2-3 batches from the one pack.

I had 3 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary and they have been bottled, 1L bottles, for 2 months. I need to get this to near freezing to have enough time to pour without foaming out of control.

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
hotpants
Recipes 

Im using WLP 400 on my belgian wit right now and I'm not too impressed with it. I thought it would ferment my beer out in 2 weeks top, but after 3 weeks my gravity is around 1.019 and slowly moving down. Obviously I have nothing to say about the taste it produces, but as far as attenuation I'm not impressed.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants View Post
Im using WLP 400 on my belgian wit right now and I'm not too impressed with it. I thought it would ferment my beer out in 2 weeks top, but after 3 weeks my gravity is around 1.019 and slowly moving down. Obviously I have nothing to say about the taste it produces, but as far as attenuation I'm not impressed.
I threw a WLP400 repitched slurry (2 months in fridge) into a 1.068 belgian dubbel and it went down to 1.004 in a week. I've also used it exclusively in all of my witbiers.

I find the banana ester is noticeable during fermentation, but not much at all in the finished beer. For wits, I ferment it quite warm, lower 80's, for a week to 10 days, then cold-crash it for 24-48 hours. It doesn't drop very clear, so the crashing is fine.

Usually have great clove notes and everyone really loves my wits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
cscade

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have any notes from 400 or 410 at lower temps? I'm wondering if it's possible to wipe out the banana altogether. I'm guessing that with 410 you could, but the whole thing may be too neutral at that point and become less interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I threw a WLP400 repitched slurry (2 months in fridge) into a 1.068 belgian dubbel and it went down to 1.004 in a week. I've also used it exclusively in all of my witbiers.

I find the banana ester is noticeable during fermentation, but not much at all in the finished beer. For wits, I ferment it quite warm, lower 80's, for a week to 10 days, then cold-crash it for 24-48 hours. It doesn't drop very clear, so the crashing is fine.

Usually have great clove notes and everyone really loves my wits.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It's worth noting that WLP400 and Wyeast 3944 are the same yeast. They are both the Hoegaarden/Celis strain according to MrMalty.com: http://www.mrmalty.com/white-labs.php

I brewed up a batch of wit yesterday and pitched a 1.2L starter of 3944 into it. By last night it was starting to bubble and this morning it was going strong. I'm going to check it here in a few minutes during my lunch break and I anticipate a healthy blowoff. I used the simmer method instead of boiling so I ended up with about 6 gallons instead of the 5.5 that Beersmith calculated.

I like the simmer method for keeping the proteins in suspension, rather than coagulating in hot break and falling out. It worked well on my previous wit to keep the beer cloudy without having to have a bunch of yeast in suspension.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
cscade

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. Jamil recommends a 90 minute boil for DMS reduction in Wit, would you say your method is still accomplishing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog_Si_Reeb View Post
I like the simmer method for keeping the proteins in suspension, rather than coagulating in hot break and falling out. It worked well on my previous wit to keep the beer cloudy without having to have a bunch of yeast in suspension.

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Do you have any notes from 400 or 410 at lower temps? I'm wondering if it's possible to wipe out the banana altogether. I'm guessing that with 410 you could, but the whole thing may be too neutral at that point and become less interesting.
I've always fermented it hot. I recall there is another WL yeast (300 or 410?) that creates more clove notes without as much work stressing the yeast as I put it through.

Also FWIW my WLP400 is on about 6th generation and recently attenuated that dubbel down past where I expected it to go. It gave off the bubblegum that belgian strong ales tend to have, I'm guessing exposure to high gravity/alcohol caused this?? Never experienced it in any wits, just the dubbel.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm a big fan of 3944 (or 400, whatever yeast company floats your boat), pitching properly sized starters in the high 60's and letting it reach the mid 70's through fermentation. It's never taken more than 2 weeks to ferment out, always finishes around 1.009-1.011, and really doesn't throw any banana esters as far as I can taste.

Not sure why you'd want to brew wits without any spices, IMHO a wit just isn't a wit without some citrus zest and coriander (good coriander, not the vegetable smelling crap some places sell). But to each his own I guess.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
I'm a big fan of 3944 (or 400, whatever yeast company floats your boat), pitching properly sized starters in the high 60's and letting it reach the mid 70's through fermentation. It's never taken more than 2 weeks to ferment out, always finishes around 1.009-1.011, and really doesn't throw any banana esters as far as I can taste.

Not sure why you'd want to brew wits without any spices, IMHO a wit just isn't a wit without some citrus zest and coriander (good coriander, not the vegetable smelling crap some places sell). But to each his own I guess.
Are you getting clove and/or other spice from the yeast at those temps? I thik the OP wants those notes to come from the yeast, not other ingredients. I get huge spice notes from that yeast in higher temp ranges, but have always wondered how it'd perform in lower temps.

Quote:

Quick Reply