Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wiring Thermostat Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
dennydeaton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wiring Thermostat Control

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Control Products TC-9102D-HV Dual Stage High Voltage Digital Temperature Controller today from Amazon. I'm very excited to use it on the Fermentation Chamber I've been designing for both cooling and heating.

The trick is, its an unwired unit and I know very little about electrical work and wiring, but can follow directions very well. Does anyone have any tips or know of any instructions for this unit? I have read the manual and reviewed the wiring diagram, but I need a little more help. Basically I think I need to wire it to a dual receptacle (one for each stage) and then wire in a plug going to the wall.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i know it doesn't help you now but for anybody else who doesn't wanna deal with wiring (i know i didn't, me and electronics are not best buddies) pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro...0643388&sr=8-2

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you wire it to the recepticle, make sure you break off the metal tab on the side or it will not work. Look at the thread for the Cheap EBay temp controller.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
dennydeaton
Recipes 

@MrManifesto - the a419 is nice, but its not dual stage. It does either heat or cool, not both. That's why I bought the one I got. I found a good wiring guide in a recent BYO last night. I think I've figured out what I need to do. Looks fairly straightforward.

@Sacdan - thank you, that's exactly what the BYO said to do.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
MuchoGusto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennydeaton View Post
@MrManifesto - the a419 is nice, but its not dual stage. It does either heat or cool, not both. That's why I bought the one I got. I found a good wiring guide in a recent BYO last night. I think I've figured out what I need to do. Looks fairly straightforward.

@Sacdan - thank you, that's exactly what the BYO said to do.
Here's the factory website on this model... http://www.controlproductsonline.com...-103-l-en.html

Here's the factory wiring diagram for the model you have...http://www.protectedhome.com/documen...%20Diagram.pdf

It's a simple wiring design... pm me if you need help.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
dennydeaton
Recipes 

@MuchoGusto - thank you! I do have a few questions just to make sure I am doing it correctly and purchasing what I need for the project. I will PM you.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
loudawgucr
Serious Hophead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I purchased this controller late last year as well and it has been working great for me. There's one thing I should point out regarding the diagram from the company web site, however. I believe their diagram is backwards in that the hot line should be the one going to the relays, not the common. It will technically work either way, but if you wire it up the way the diagram illustrates, then your output plugs will always be hot, even when that stage is turned off. This is obviously less safe and not the ideal way to have it wired up.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
dennydeaton
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip loudawgucr!

@MuchoGusto - I have tried three times to reply to your PM but its not going through. Very odd. I will keep trying.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts

I bought the dual stage version of that controller, works very well. I have done elementary wiring before, and the sheer volume of wires can become confusing. I would recommend you do the following:

1. draw up a wiring diagram showing where each wire goes, and an abbreviation that makes sense for you on each end of each wire.
2. cut the wires extra long and trim them to size as you make the second connection
3. When you select wire colors, remnember black is hot, white is neutral, and green is ground. You can use whatever colors you wish, but that is the convention that keeps most people from burning their house down.
4. double check each wire after you are completely finished.

Good Luck

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Both Tomsd and I have wiring diagrams for temp controllers in this thread.
Although not yours, it should help you figure out what to do. I was able to wire my ebay one based on his love diagram, and I have little electrical knowledge.

Tom's a good resource, don't hesitate to pm him if you need help.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply