Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Windsor pitching rate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Stellrbrewr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Windsor pitching rate

Ive been reading up on Danstar Vs. Fermentis yeasts, and Ive noticed a lot of bad reviews for Windsor and a lot of ok to good reviews on US-04. I did read on Danstars technical info that their pitching rate is 1g/L, which would require roughly 20g per 5 gallons. Fermentis recommends 50-80g/hL, or 10-15g per 5 gallons, unless my conversions are wrong. Seems the big complaint on Windsor is it leaves an incredibly high FG (even though it is only a moderately attenuating yeast). Is it possible people are underpitching this yeast? For anyone thats used this yeast, have you been using 1 or 2 packets?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Man, that would have been good info for when I used Nottingham. I was not impressed with Notty, but apparently I was underpitching quite a bit.

Although, buying two packets of Danstar removes it's price advantage over Fermentis.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

When I use Windsor, I only pitch one packet. Nothing wrong with Windsor, it was selected for proper attenuation in can + kilo kits. That means you have high FG with all-malt brews. Useful for certain browns and stouts.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Resurrection zombie thread. GGGRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS

I'm putting together a recipe and I'm trying to select a yeast. I am down to S05 or Windsor. These are quite different, I understand. Windsor should attenuate kinda high and S05 pretty low. I'm just worried about how high the Windsor will stop because I don't want candy beer, but I do want a full bodied beer, not too dry.

A lot of threads on this forum regarding Windsor are talking about VERY high FG, like 1018-1027, but I'm not sure if those threads only exist because of poor pitching or temp control, or if this is normal for this beer. My OG will be 1048-ish.

Grain bill:
9lb Canadian 2-row
1.5lb Caramel 77L (I wanted 60L, but this brew store has 45 or 77 to choose from as alternatives)
0.5lb Honey malt

The plan is to really taste that Caramel and Honey flavour. Maybe I'm going overboard in trying to force that into the beer and the dryness of the 05 would be okay... I dunno. Anyway, the question is, with a moderate OG like this, to where should I expect a properly pitched Windsor to attenuate?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would go with the S05 and just mash high, Something like 158. That should keep enough of the starches together to prevent you from finishing dry and give you a decent amount of body.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Or alternatively you could just go with Nottingham, which has a british-y estery profile (somewhat) and attenuates well but not quite as dry as US-05 in my experience. US-05 lends almost no character to a beer, so just make sure you are good with that when selecting it. More and more I brew I find that I like yeasts that contribute a bit more than just making alcohol (i.e. WLP007, Nottingham, Windsor etc.).

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbrewer View Post
I would go with the S05 and just mash high, Something like 158. That should keep enough of the starches together to prevent you from finishing dry and give you a decent amount of body.
The high mash was actually part of my plan before I started learning about yeast. I got lost in the details when yeast selection came up. So a heavy attenuator in a starchy wort won't get as dry, right? So S05 should be safe.

I'm not sure if this particular recipe warrants yeast adding flavours - at least not yet. I want to see what the basic recipe creates for me, then I can perhaps play with yeasts in future batches.

Here's a novel concept... I have a few 3-gal carboys... maybe I should just split the batch and use S04 AND S05 and compare. The only problem I see here is that S04 should ferment a bit cooler, so one or the other is going to ferment outside of its ideal temp and I think it would be the S04 because I may have a hard time keeping cool in this brew (warm weather is here, ferm temp controller is not yet wired up)

Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

s-04 will give off much more flavor when fermented warm than S-05. S-04 will ferment overnight if you have the wort around 70 deg and will throw many more esters. I would prefer the S-04 fermented in the 60-65 deg range.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, that's why I'm stuck not using it... unless I can get my controller up and running in the next 10 days. It sounds like a more attractive yeast, but I'd have to keep it cool and I don't know if I can.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A lot of people are saying they use Bathtubs with lots of water and frozen bottles. Like a 2L or 1L frozen solid and swap it out every 12 hours or so. Might be worth a shot. Or a test run with regular water, that will get you close though the actual beer will run a few degrees higher due to the fermentation.

Quick Reply