New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Will re-yeasting for carbonation HURT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Also, I contacted Wyeast at the same time (thinking at least one of them would reply) and they just did, with this:

"I recommend adding some bottling yeast. 4021 is an excellent strain for this application. It has a high tolerance to low pH and high alcohol."

And that's from one of Wyeast's microbiologists & brewers, according to the signature. I think I'll trust that girl... lol
You could probably get away with Lalvin EC-1118 as well (another champagne yeast strain). It would cost far less than the pack of Wyeast. I used that early in my brewing life trying to get a bit more out of an old ale. Didn't do anything for the brew, but it carbonated nice and fast (within the normal 3 week span). It's also flavor neutral, so it won't impact the brew.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I still hold that you probably won't need any extra yeast, but you're not going to hrt anything by adding a neutral strain (save some extra sediment).

I don't know that you need as much as half a pack; the yeast only have to eat a miniscule amount of sugar. But this is your beer, make a choice and go with it.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
I still hold that you probably won't need any extra yeast, but you're not going to hrt anything by adding a neutral strain (save some extra sediment).

I don't know that you need as much as half a pack; the yeast only have to eat a miniscule amount of sugar. But this is your beer, make a choice and go with it.
A single, 5g, pack of EC-1118 rehydrated and poured into the batch a few days before will leave enough in suspension, but a decent amount will also settle out. I didn't get excess sediment that way. Of course, chilling for 1-3 weeks before opening (after giving it time to carbonate) would be advisable.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've developed this simple calculation/procedure for reyeasting with dry yeast for 1 million cells / 1 mL of finished beer (scale up pitching rate if desired). I've used Larvin EC-1118 yeast without it changing the final gravity of fully fermented beer. The result is fast carbonation when stored around 70F, professional yeast cake in the bottle and less wasted flat beer trying to figure out when it's carbonated. It doesn't speed-up aging though.

Re-yeasting Procedures:

Yeasting dosing rate: 1 million cells/1 mL of finished beer.

20.0e9 yeast cells/gram of dry yeast.
5 gal = 18,927 mL
1.0e6 = 20.0e9*x/18,927, x = 0.9 grams of dry yeast

Boil 4 oz of Spring Water in 4 qt measuring cup in microwave, cover with plastic wrap and chill to 80F in water bath.
Sprinkle 1.8g (0.9g X 2) dry yeast on water surface and cover with plastic wrap, let sit for 15 min.
(Note: Measure by weighing full package and add gradually and keep weighing)
Stir (swirl) yeast, pitch 50% of prepared yeast into bottling bucket during the transfer.

EDIT: I double the prepared yeast & water to make the measurements a little easier and only pitch half.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I recently went through this with a high gravity Belgian. I ended up with almost 6 gallons total. After primary fermentation, I racked the usual 5 gallons to a carboy where it sat for 3 months. The rest went into a gallon jug. After a month I bottled the gallon, but after 8 weeks I had absolutely zero carbonation. Not sure that was a result of the alcohol content or very little yeast in suspension, but that prompted me to add a quarter packet of hydrated champagne yeast to the bottling bucket when it came time to tackle what was in the carboy. 3 weeks later I tested a bottle and it was fully carbonated.

If you're unsure, that's the route I'd take...

Good luck

Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
cfbugsbunny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Same here. No carb in a Belgian. Rehydrated champagne yeast and used a sanitized medicine dropper to put about 1ml yeast solution in each bottle. Recapped and waited a couple weeks in warmer area (70 F) and voila. Case solved... and drank!!

Quick Reply