Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild yeast wash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
zackmon21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wild yeast wash?

So I had some extra wort left and read about wild yeast so I left out open for 10 days til it started bubbling than added to a jar with sugar and dme n it fermented any tips on washing and what kind of brew I should experiment on for the wild yeast the first time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm betting you'd net better results in the Lambic & Wild Brewing Sub-Forum. I'm just sayin!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hopefully you plan on tasting the brew before you invest the time to wash. Let us know how it turns out.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 06-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

From my experience, I simply use it like any other yeast. Just make a large starter, decant, and pitch. You can wash it just like any other yeast. It will just be a mixture of several yeasts, bacteria, etc. and not just "yeast" in the mix. Another note, it will most likely change over time. I've got one on its 3rd or 4th generation and it is much different than it was to start with...

So far as what sort of beer to try it out in, I'd suggest a beer with as little character as possible. Possibly Pilsner / Pale malt mashed pretty low, maybe a little sugar to dry it out, and then hop it to about 25 - 35 IBU with something mild. This will allow you to see what you've captured and give you a real taste for what the yeast brings to the party. If you've got an idea based on smell and/or taste of the starter, you may want to add a little more up-front hop or hopping schedule.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply