Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild Yeast or something else

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
USMCYoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wild Yeast or something else

So I had some left over wort from my quad that I threw into a mason jar and kept out. It's only been 2 days but I have some good activity going. I know the wild yeast thread said 2 weeks for some good wild yeast. Just looking to clarify if this could be it, or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-25774761.jpg  
Secondary:Air
Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Chances are it is a yeast you have been brewing with. How does it smell/taste?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Doesn't have any real smell or taste as of yet. I was afraid it was the yeast I recently used (Trappist High Gravity). I guess I will let it sit for a day or two and when I sample my Quad I will try this and see if it is similar...

Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm confused by both your posts, are you saying you pitched yeast into there? You said this was extra wort...was it pre or post yeast pitch? Obviously if you pitched yeast, it's gonna be the yeast you used...but if you didn't then more than likely it's something wild....it could be anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
winnph
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm confused by both your posts, are you saying you pitched yeast into there? You said this was extra wort...was it pre or post yeast pitch? Obviously if you pitched yeast, it's gonna be the yeast you used...but if you didn't then more than likely it's something wild....it could be anything.
It sounds to me like the OP was talking about pre-pitch. It's quite possible that the "wild" yeast in the brewing area is mostly "escaped" domesticated yeast from prior brews, so it could be a recently-used strain, but certainly countless other microbes are going to be around as well.

Is it just me, or does that look really yellow? Is it just the lighting, maybe?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It was pre-pitch wort, no yeast was added to this sample. I didn't know if it was the yeast I used because the open container was like <10 feet from the carboy/blowoff bucket.

Looking at it, it did look a little yellow, but it seemed more yellow after the photo I took with my phone. I am going to check it out over the weekend and see where it is at and if it is similar at all to my main fermentation.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS