Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild yeast capture success

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default Wild yeast capture success

I have been interested in trying to capture some wild yeast for a long time. A couple of months ago I tried it and had success.

I made up some 1.020 wort. Put about 250 ml in each of three mason jars. Covered them with cheesecloth. I put on jar under a large pine tree, the next jar in a pear tree that was flowering, the third jar I put near a big rosemary plant/bush that was. also flowering. I let them sit overnight, then brought them inside and covered them with sanitized foil.

First jar was a big fail. All I got was mold. Second jar (pear tree) fermented out, smelled like yeast, so I stepped it up. After several days I put the flask in the fridge to crash it out. The yeast just would not drop out, but stayed in suspension. It smelled ok but I decided not to use this yeast. The third jar (rosemary) was a big success. I let it ferment out for a little over a week. Smelled very good, fruity/spicy. Like a good Belgian or saison. I stepped it up and it went crazy. So I stuck it in the fridge to drop the yeast out. Smelled fantastic. I decided to make a very simple one gallon extract batch. I used one lb. of pils DME and 1/2 lb wheat DME. I added some Strisselspalt hops to bitter it a little. It took off like a rocket, within 5 hours I put on a blow off tube because it looked it was going to blow. It took the brew down to 1.004.

Bottled it up and it tasted great at bottling time. Now three weeks later and fully carbed up it is a very good brew. It is a little fruity with some spice. This will make a very good saison. I washed the yeast and now have 5 small jars of this yeast for future brews. On Saturday I am going to do a 5 gallon batch.

Here is a pic of the fermenter at 5 hours after pitching, and a pic of the finished brew.

If you have ever thought about trying to capture wild yeast it is worth a try. I had two failures, but this one success made it worth while.

wildyeast2.jpg   wildyeast.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That's freakin awesome. I have always wanted to try this out. I'm definitely going to do it now. Great job. Congrats.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Good work!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
That's freakin awesome. I have always wanted to try this out. I'm definitely going to do it now. Great job. Congrats.
Give it a try. I did it when the weather was cooler. I heard this lowers the chance of getting mold.

Right now with all the rain we have been getting would be a bad time to try it.

The yeast does taste great, and I am very thrilled to use it in a good recipe. I an not sure if I want to do a saison or maybe a Belgian with it. I do have five jars of it so I may do several brews to see where it works best.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
cthulhughost
Recipes 

That sounds amazing! I think I going to give that a try this weekend. I've been planning on making a saison anyway and would love to use a wild strain. Thanks for the story.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhughost View Post
That sounds amazing! I think I going to give that a try this weekend. I've been planning on making a saison anyway and would love to use a wild strain. Thanks for the story.
You never know what you are going to get. I did this back in May when it was cooler. Now that it is hot out you may get mold, but give it try anyway. It really does not cost anything.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see some success. I'm gonna try to get some yeast off the local palisade peaches. I was thinking about getting one and skinning it, then putting it in some 1.020 dme starter.

Thoughts? I was gonna use about a half gal or less and put a airlock on top. I've never attempted to capture wild yeast so this would be a first.

Mike

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Last night I placed four jars under different trees and bushes, covered with pantyhose. But I made the wort stronger than it should be, I forgot that it shouldn't be as strong as a starter, I think mine was about .40. Should I start over and make another wort which isnt as strong?

I think I should discard one of them already, because I forgot that the bush I placed it under is one of my dogs favorite pee-bush.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyglove View Post
Last night I placed four jars under different trees and bushes, covered with pantyhose. But I made the wort stronger than it should be, I forgot that it shouldn't be as strong as a starter, I think mine was about .40. Should I start over and make another wort which isnt as strong?

I think I should discard one of them already, because I forgot that the bush I placed it under is one of my dogs favorite pee-bush.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read a very small amount of low OG wort is best. Because you are capturing a very small amount, you don't want to stress the yeast too much.

At this point you have nothing to lose by just letting them go and seeing what happens.

Since I posted I have done a 5 gallon saison recipe using the yeast and just toook a sample. Tasted great and was down to 1.003. I am going to battle it soon.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

awesome!

Quick Reply