Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wild yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
crocks86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Wild yeast

So I brewed a winter spiced ale this week, on Monday, but my yeast starter for whatever reason didn't seem to work. There was no accumulation of yeast in the bottom and no change in SG. Didn't think it was a big deal, got a new pack at the store and remade the starter, but the wort was already in the fermenter so I sealed it and left it assuming it would be okay for a couple of day until my new batch of yeast was ready.

I came home late Thursday night and thought of the starter before I went to bed so I figured I would toss it in, looked at the bucket and there was already a full healthy looking krausen on top. My mind was pretty much blown, has anyone else had this happen? I pitched the starter anyway, figured I'd ride it out and see what kind of product it made, is it a 100% chance that it's ruined or is there a possibility of wild yeast (or something else) making a decent brew. I know people do open fermentations and so on that might involve this stuff but I don't think they usually start solely with something besides proper brewing yeast, but I really haven't looked into that so I don't know the details.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

There is a reasonable chance it'll go sour, but there is also a good chance it'll come out different than expected, but ok. I have a wild yeast I deliberately used, and so far it smells pretty good.

Let us know in a couple months.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

You probably have a combination of wild yeast and bacteria at work.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

At this point I think you gotta ride it out! Make sure you report back to us. I've fermented unpasteurized cider wild before and it's turned out great. But that's using the yeast that lives on the apples, I dunno how your "house" yeast will compare... call it a Mount Pearl lambic?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
crocks86
Recipes 

Thanks for the input, I'll see how it goes. With any luck it will be drinkable, I kind of hope it isn't too good though, probably won't be able to reproduce it if it is. I'll post again when it's done

Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

No doubt it'll be the greatest beer in the world. Since you will never be able to repeat it, name the next one: The Greatest Beer in the World... Tribute.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen
No doubt it'll be the greatest beer in the world. Since you will never be able to repeat it, name the next one: The Greatest Beer in the World... Tribute.
Nice Tenacious_D reference!

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
crocks86
Recipes 

So after about 8 days the beer is at it's FG, had a small sample yesterday and it seems to taste fine, not as much flavour as I would have expected from a 9% ABV spiced ale, but it doesn't taste bad, I think that's the main thing right now.

Would any bad flavour caused by bacteria take a while to come out, or am I in the clear if it doesn't taste bad right away?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Might be the best beer you ever unitentionally made I would let it ride out and see what happens.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
crocks86
Recipes 

So, I bottled this beer last night and it seems to taste fine. Its a spiced beer, so maybe off flavours are more likely to be masked or maybe it is just fine. But while transferring I noticed some possible mold in the fermenter. It was little white patches on the sides of the fermenter above the highest point of the krausen. Thought I washed it out but found one last bit left to take a picture, hopefully someone knows what it is.

Does that look like mold? and if it is, should I stop using that fermenter for other beers or will it be okay if I scrub it really good and sanitize. I already had the siphon going when I noticed the mold so continued on with bottling, could it be a problem to use that for other batches as well? I'm not really sure if mold is a big deal (or even if it is mold) or its just bateria that can be bad.

img_0503.jpg  

Reason: picture added

Quick Reply